Abbreviations

I am using EndNote X7 and Turabian style.

I have seen how to get journal names abbreviated by entering Tools > Open term list > Journal Term List > New Term / Edit Term.

I was wondering if there was a way to abbreviate titles of books / manuscripts (other than journal articles).

Sorry I am not very familiar with use use of term lists, just the basics.

Hope anyone can help. Thanks.

– Also when I try to add the title of the book under ‘series title’, I get the abbreviated form as per the corresponding entry in the journal term list. But this causes problems in the footnotes and there is no title of book. Is there any place in EndNote to add a title of book and get its abbreviation? Thanks again.

There is a Short Title field available for Book references. If you are working with footnote Styles, many of them utilize or can be modified to utilize the Short Title field.

Thank you for your reply.

I just entered the short form in the Short Title field, but their is no change in the name in the footnotes.

I am using Turabian 8th footnotes. Is there some setting that I need to modify?

Thanks

You can modify the Turabian 8th Footnote Style to use the Short Title field. In EndNote, click on the Edit menu > Output Styles > Open Style Manager. Browse to the Turabian 8th Footnote Style and double-click to open it. On the left side of the Style, look for Footnotes. Under that, click Templates. Here you will see the standard templates as well as the Sort Form for each reference type. Repeated references in subsequent citations will follow the Short Form. You can modify these templates to use either the Title or Short Title. Place your cursor in the appropriate template position and use the Insert Field button in the upper right corner to add Short Title. Keep in mind also the setting at the top: “When using the short form, include the title field only when needed to disambiguate a citation.” You can uncheck this if you always want the title to be included.

When you are done editing, click on the File menu and select Save As. Select a name and then Save the new copy. You can then close the Style and Style Manager. To see the changes in your document, be sure to switch to the new copy of the Turabian 8th Footnote Style.

1 Like

I edited the short form field as per your post and the abbreviation showed up in the document.

Thank you very much for your reply.