Adding a university study guide?

So lets tackle the citations first.  In X4 you will have type the Author and Author and insert the citation and then - and I don’t know how you do this in Papers09, but in MSword you hide the author by right clicking in the citation and chosing the option to hide author.  In X5 (at least in MSWord) you have another option to switch between Author & Author (year) and (Author & Author, Year) but I don’t think you can distinguish the & and the “and” in the two different instances anyway. 

Put the course number in the author field.  - since the year in your example follows the title, and APA usually follows the author, you may need a new Reference Type for the Uni Guides (below I adapted Blog).  If there is no difference, then the style will need to be edited (presumably for all ref types?  Books, book sections, journals) to follow the title. 

Next trick is the sorting.  Put the Course title in field that is always empty (I use language, as I don’t need it).  In your library hide all the Uni guides and in the rest of the references in your library (select all) replace that field (tools change, move field) with the letter Z. otherwise the the study guides will  end up last and not first…   and change the style bibliography (and citation if you like) to sort first on “language” and then on the author.  (this has been done in the attached style). 

In my library test, I used Blog as the ref type for the Uni guides. I only did this because it looked like the Title year order was different.  I think you can get away with using the book ref type, if they are all the same Title (year). order.

I had duplicated the course number in both the author and the language fields for just those University guides (described above).  I also had to edit Blog (so it might not be the best choice) to include the publisher and place published fields.

The bracketed citation came out like this:

These are some books and “blog” citations (EDC1400, 2009; PSY1400, 2011; Albright & Woodward, 2008; Bhutto, 2008; Dille, 2007; Gelvin, 2011) where the sort is first on the “language” field and then on author field. (P.S. the ecletic refs I chose were from my High School son’s endnote library!)

Bibliography - ordered correctly. (note Author (Year) Title order for the books)

EDC1400 Foundations of curriculum and pedagogy: Introductory book. (2009). Toowoomba: University of Southern Queensland.

PSY1400 This is the title. (2011). Chicago: Academic Press.

Albright, M. K., & Woodward, W. (2008) Memo to the President elect : how we can restore America’s reputation and leadership (1st ed.). New York, NY: Harper.

Bhutto, B. (2008) Reconciliation : Islam, democracy, and the West (1st ed.). New York: Harper.

Dille, F. (2007) The ultimate guide to video game writing and design. New York: Watson-Guptill Publications.

Gelvin, J. L. (2011) The modern Middle East : a history (3rd ed.). New York: Oxford University Press.

APA 6th Uni-study.ens (60.2 KB)