Adding new reference to travelling library in Word ?

Is it possible to add a new citation / reference to a Word document with only a travelling library ?

Yes, assuming you are not trying to format an endnote 8-X formated word document with endnoteX1.  (see previous How to answer from Ptravis: http://forums.thomsonscientific.com/ts/board/message?board.id=en-howto&message.id=21). 

If you insert your new reference, it should update the “travelling library”. 

I’m still not clear on this. Either that or I didn’t explain myself clearly enough and we’re not talking about the same thing. :slight_smile:

Firstly, myself and my colleague are both on Endnote X.

All I have is the Word doc (incl embedded travelling library). The doc was sent formatted, but I can unformat it back to curly bracket citations.

I want to add new references to the document (ie works that do not appear in the travelling library). I do not have the original full Endnote library (PhD.enl) that my colleague used (I could possibly get it, but I want to know first if I really have to).

So say there are refs up to #100 in the travelling library. I want to add #101. Can I do that ?

It occurs to me that maybe I can only do it by exporting the travelling library and adding #101 to that ? Then how do I ‘re-attach’ that to the document, with or without ‘displacing’ the original library (PhD.enl) from ‘libraries used’ ? What happens when I send this document back to my colleague .- should / can he easily add my new refs to his original library (PhD.enl) ?

Finally, is any of this process described anywhere in the documentation (I couldn’t find it, at least not quickly) ? :slight_smile:

You DO NOT want to format it back to curly bracketed citations, as that removes the travelling library (TL).  The library is embedded in the paper.  If you ever reveal field codes (from tools, options, general - a tick box), you will see a bunch of gobbledy gooook - which includes everything that is needed to reformat the paper’s references with the new information. 

You simply insert your new reference from your library into their copy of the formatted paper.  If CWYW is on, it will automatically update the references adding the 101st reference.  If it is off, then manually format with the “format bibliography” toolbar button or endnote tools.  The only problem might be, if you don’t have a custom endnote style used by your colleague (and for all I know, that might be in the travelling library too!).  You do not need their copy of the library. 

If you extract the travelling library, it has different numbers and won’t match those in the paper, but it is an easy way to incorporate the references into your own library for future use in future papers. 

There is no need for him to incorporate it into his library unless he wants it. 

If you send the formatted paper back to your colleague, your reference will be embedded in the TL of the paper.  If he wants that reference in his library, he can retrieve the travelling library (into a new library) and import it into his Phd.enl library being sure to discard duplicates (if there are many) or just drag and drop the new reference into his own library (if it is only one or two).   It again won’t be the same record number, so the manuscript will “remember” your reference from the travelling library. 

If you search Endnote’s Help for “travel”, the explanation may be clearer than mine…

Hello:

While it is not strictly necessary – as Leanne said, it is possible to continue adding references even without the original – we actually do recommend sending the EndNote library along with the document. 

The reason why is because it is generally a good idea to unformat and reformat the document as you’re working to make sure that the most recent information from your libraries is incorporated in the paper. Otherwise, alterations and corrections made to the EndNote libraries may not reflect in the paper’s text. However, once unformatted, it can be very challenging to reformat without the original library.

Sending the EndNote library from and to EndNote X or X1 is really simple; please follow the instructions here on using compressed libraries:

http://endnote.com/support/faqs/Database/faq6.asp

Once you have all the library references, you can work on the paper as you normally would.  

I hope this helps! Let me know if anything about this is not clear.  

While adding new references to a document with a traveling library works as described above, I have not found a way to integrate the new reference with a string of existing references in the text.  For example, say the text had citations “[3,4]”, and a new reference is added.  When reformatted, the text citation will appear as “[3,4] [5]”, rather than the ideal “[3-5]”.  A small price to pay for the convenience of a traveling library maybe, but does anyone know of a solution to this?

Thanks 

If you remove the space between them, it should format properly. (tested in EndnoteX)

Yes!  Thanks.