Always with "p.", but only once

The citations of articles in my footnotes should look like this:

The new millennium started in 20011) and continues to this day2). It will last until 3000.3) This is a huge problem.4)

___

1) Miller, The New Millennium, Paleontology 17 (2007), p. 12-45 [this is the page range of the whole article], 23. 

2) Hancock, Today and Tomorrow, Historical Review 55 (2008), p. 56-78, 67.

3) Miller, Millennium, p. 44.

4) See, generally, Mayer, The Problem of the Duration of a Millennium, Social Studies 23 (2001), p. 122-155 [this is the page range of the whole article].  

How do I have to set the Template for Journal articles to achieve that? I haven’t found a way; either it makes p. 12-45, p. 23, or there is no “p.” it all in certain cases. 

My current template is: 

Author, Title, Journal| Volume| (Year)|,[link adjacent text]p.[link adjacent text]Pages|,[link adjacent text]Cited Pages

Thank you for a tip

Message Edited by Helveticus on 10-24-2008 11:43 AM

I don’t see “Cited Pages” field in my Endnote (X2-Windows). Did you make that field? Or, is it in Mac or something in older versions?

In any case, you could use another filed (e.g. Custom 1) to enter the cited page, and add after the “Page” field separated by comma"◊"[link to adjacent field].

So the last part would look like: ◊p.^pp.◊Pages,◊Custom 1|.

That should do it if I don’t misunderstand what you want…to make like pp. 1-10, 5.  ?

Good luck.

I got the “Cited page” myself. It’s the page you set in the Word’s pull down “Edit Citation”, right? (To be honest, I never used that function, sorry, I didn’t know that.)

I tried your template, and it seems working in the way you want…because the p. is before “Pages” field, and you don’t have p. before “Cited filed”.

Maybe I’m creating more confusion, sorry.

Message Edited by myoshigi on 10-21-2008 02:47 PM

Hello myoshigi,

Thank you for your effort. I should add that I have Endnote 9 but it’s the same as in the newer versions. 

The problem is footnote 3. With my template, “p.” doesn’t appear there at all, but it has to.

I can’t use a field like “Custom 1” instead of “Cited pages” because the page quoted from a certain reference is different in every footnote.

So, the footnote 3 doesn’t have the range of pages in “Pages” field, because the “p.” in front of “Pages” field is dependent on existence of the data, right?

Then, how about directly entering “p. [the page you want to cite]” in the dialog box you get from “Edit Citation” in Word menu?

I guess you are citing Book or something that doesn’t have a particular range of page in the Endnote database entry, but you cite this book very often in the Word text, and each time you want to specify which page you are talking about. Am I understanding correct?

In the “More” dialog box from “Edit Citation” pull-down menu, I just entered, like “p. 45” in the Pages field. It came out the way you want, at least with my Endnote X2-WindowsXP-SP3 and Word 2003. 

Cheers,

Yes, to enter “p.” in Edit Citation is probably the only solution. It’s not ideal because I am changing the order of the text all the time, and if a footnote with a “p.” in “Edit Citation” is afterwards moved to the beginning of the text, there is a “p.” too much, because the first time a citation appears, I make a full reference with the page range of the whole article (see footnotes 1, 2 and 4 in the example above). Then, there is already automatically a “p.” from my template, so with another “p.” in “Edit Citation” it would look like “…, p. 12-45, p. 23”.

I guess you are citing Book or something that doesn’t have a particular range of page in the Endnote database entry, but you cite this book very often in the Word text, and each time you want to specify which page you are talking about. Am I understanding correct?

No, the problem doesn’t exist with books, only with articles. With books, I have the template

Author, Title, Edition ed., City Year|,[link adjacent text]p.[link adjacent text]Cited Pages.

If I cite to the whole book without a specific page, “p.” doesn’t appear, and if I do cite to a specific page, “p.” appears. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work like that with articles. 

Message Edited by Helveticus on 10-24-2008 11:45 AM

Message Edited by Helveticus on 10-24-2008 11:48 AM

So, let me ask you to clarify.

In your example, are the 1) and 3) different article or the same article?

In the previous post, you mentioned 3) doesn’t have “p.” at all with your template, which means  you don’t have “Pages” field data in this reference. Therefore, I thought 1) and 3) are different article (at least in the library entry).

1 and 3 are the same reference in the library. I work with the “Short title” field in repeated citations.

“P.” doesn’t appear in 3 because the template cannot be defined to include “p.” in 3 but not a double “p.” in 1. 

Now, I think I finally got what you want, and what is your other settings. It took a while to figure out why your page range isn’t displayed in the example 3) even the reference for 1) and 3) is the same entry, having the page range.

1. You have Journal Article reference that has a range of page.

2. In footnote, you want to refer to a specific page (cited page) within the range. You edit this Cited Page from Word’s pull down “Edit Citation” menu.

3. The cited page differ from place to place, and you want freedom to move the footnote back and forth, such that p. appears always once before the range, or just before the cited page.

4. When the same citation is referenced in the same or subsequent foot note, you use “Short form of the reference” with “Short Title” shown.

5. Then, instead of using “Ibid.”, you chose “No special handling” option in the “Repeated Citations” options. The repeated citation will not display the page range because the range of the paper is somehow omitted even “No special handling” option is chosen.

Did I still miss something?

1. You have Journal Article reference that has a range of page.

Yes.

2. In footnote, you want to refer to a specific page (cited page) within the range.

Sometimes yes, like in footnotes 1, 2 and 3, but sometimes not, like in footnote 4. 

You edit this Cited Page from Word’s pull down “Edit Citation” menu.

Yes.

3. The cited page differ from place to place, and you want freedom to move the footnote back and forth, such that p. appears always once before the range, or just before the cited page.

Yes.

4. When the same citation is referenced in the same or subsequent foot note, you use “Short form of the reference” with “Short Title” shown.

Yes.

5. Then, instead of using “Ibid.”, you chose “No special handling” option in the “Repeated Citations” options. The repeated citation will not display the page range because the range of the paper is somehow omitted even “No special handling” option is chosen.

No, I use ibid. for consecutive footnotes. There is no special problem with that (but the same as with repeated citations not immediately following the first one). The repeated citation doesn’t display the page range of the whole article because that is always the case with “Use the short form of the reference”. “Short form of the reference” means Author name, Title/Short title and Cited pages, nothing else. The problem with “p.” wouldn’t occur if the short form of the reference (and the “ibid.”-citation) included the page range of the article in addition to any cited pages, but that is no option. 

I am sorry for the complicated nature of my problem.

Oh, not a problem with me. I was wondering I’m getting a bit obsessive about this thread, but I just wanted to figure out what’s your problem, and wanted to learn how footnote style works for myself at the same time. Endnote is my favorite (and essential) software and it just bugs me when it doesn’t work or when I don’t know how it works.

Try this template:

Author, Title, Journal| Volume| (Year)|, p. Pages,◊Cited Pages|. 

Except for the ◊ [Link to adjacent field] between “Pages,” and “Cited Pages”, other spaces are just normal spaces. I added comma after “Pages” such that this comma (punctation) is dependent on the existence of “Pages” field. Using this template, I got the followings. I was also able to change 1) and 3) without customizing through “Edit Citation” menu.

Footnote one[1], footnote two[2], footnote three[3].

[1] Ross, The pathogenesis of atherosclerosis: a perspective for the 1990s, Nature 362 (1993), p. 801-9, 802.

[2] Xu, The impact of progenitor cells in atherosclerosis, Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med 3 (2006), p. 94-101.

[3] Ross, The pathogenesis, p. 808.

Problem about this template is: when you don’t have “Cited Page” entry, “p.” becomes orphan, and displayed at the end. But maybe this template requires less “manual editing” when you move in-text citation a lot because you have less chance of “not specifying page” for repeated footnote references.

Best regards,

Thank you very much! This is the solution, because I almost never cite to an article as a whole without a specific page.