Ambiguous citation not working correctly

Hello Rick,

I am having the same issue, and I would like your tech support to revert my document to ver.7.2.1.

Could you tell me where to send my document?

I hope you get back to me immediately as I have a paper deadline soon!

Hi

Yes the online version does not have the problem but the online version does not support author (year) format.

Please advised.

Ritchie

Hi again all,

Contact details for Technical Support to have us do the formatting for you can be found at:

http://endnote.com/support

If you’d like to contact the beta coordinator for access to the beta fix, they can be reached through the forums by clicking on their name in the post on the previous page, or via email at:

endnote.betacoordinator [at] thomsonreuters.com

Very sorry for the confusion there.

I did wonder if it might be something to do with Ambiguous citations but as I haven’t changed any settings

I’m having the same problem

May you help me to fix my citations with same author and same year?

Dear friend

I’m having problems: It’s appearing wrong letters when I cited references from same author and same year!!

Corrected expected:

(Gottsberger and Silberbauer-Gottsberger 2006a; b),

But is appearing in this way: with letter K, instead of “b”: 

(Gottsberger and Silberbauer-Gottsberger 2006a; k).

Expected: (Paulino-Neto 2014a, b, c)

Appearing:  (Paulino-Neto 2014a, h, n)

Thanks

Yes this is the bug the entire thread is about.  Either use the online version to format, contact Tech support to have them format it for you or contact the beta coordinator for access to the beta fix via email at:

endnote.betacoordinator [at] thomsonreuters.com

Rick,

Do you have any idea as to when a patch will be released? I am using a custom citation style, so I cannot use EndNote online, and I would rather not send the document to your tech staff or install the beta version.  Alternatively, are there any other workarounds?

Thanks.

Please send me information to fix this problem. I am using PC. Thanks

Hello all,

We are preparing to deploy an X7.3.1 patch to fix the ambiguous citation issue early next week. Therefore we are no longer sending out pre-release copies.

If you are under a deadline and need help formatting, please contact tech support. Thank you for all of your input, which helped us to resolve the problem.

Best regards,

Sharon

Hello! I am interested in testing this option. I am currently using Windows on a desktop. My email address is elly1@ualberta.ca

Thanks!

I highly recommend removing a direct email link as they can be harvested by spammers.  put in things like at and [.dot]  to make it more difficult (or edit msg and delete it if they have contacted you already).  

Là một trong những doanh nghiệp đầu tiên tại Việt Nam sản xuất đèn LED chiếu sáng trong giai đoạn khi nói về LED thì hầu như ai cũng nghĩ là LED quảng cáo. Skyled bắt đầu triển khai nhóm kỹ sư nghiên cứu về LED và công nghệ sản xuất đèn LED từ đầu năm 2009. Triển khai đăng ký bảo hộ độc quyền thương hiệu đèn LED chiếu sáng Skyled. Khi tất cả các sản phẩm  chiếu sáng trong nhà và ngoài trời đạt yêu cầu về Kỹ thuật sản xuất, đảm bảo chất lượng tốt nhất

Hi there, I am having the same problem with Endnote X7.7 with the citations appearing out of order no matter what I try to do and sort order I use.  Has a patch been developed as promised in 2015? My document is for a masters in university and look ridiculous with (Royce 2011b) the beginning of it and infront of (Royce 2011a).

regards Belinda

Hi there, I am having the same problem with Endnote X7.7 with the citations appearing out of order no matter what I try to do and sort order I use.  Has a patch been developed as promised in 2015? My document is for a masters at university and look ridiculous with (Royce 2011b) at the beginning of it and infront of (Royce 2011a).

regards Belinda

This thread is about a bug which used the wrong letters entirely, which was fixed.  You want something that is specified by publishers, to contravene what they define as ordering rules.  You can read a discussion here for workarounds, but you should check with your university if they want what you esthetically prefer.  

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/Ambiguous-citations/m-p/29629#M6606  

Can you sneak by with one of the other output styles?  :mansad:

I’m experiencing this same issue - Windows 7 home. 32 Bit.

How do I get the beta release?

What issue?  The bug skipping letters in the original post was corrected long ago.  The ordering of citations isn’t a bug.  

Hi Leanne, thanks for your reply but the bug wasnt fixed and I have tried all the workarounds that were previously suggested. Nothing works. 

You are seeing as the below, which is the bug that was fixed?  or citations “out of order” – which isn’t a bug.  It is a publishers requirement which can only be altered by changing the sort order in the bibliograph and citation settings of the output style.  

Corrected expected:

(Gottsberger and Silberbauer-Gottsberger 2006a; b),

But was appearing in this way: with letter K, instead of “b”: 

(Gottsberger and Silberbauer-Gottsberger 2006a; k).

To paraphrase what I said somewhere else:  

Most publishers actually specify the order to be based on  alpha (author) then year and then usually title, which is what you are getting, and not in order of citation appearance. That is because in the bibliography itself, that is how they want them to be listed. 

You could make this change in the citation sort order and let the bibliography be listed in Author, Year, Title and then the letters would be out of order there, if you prefer, but I didn’t test that option.)

(I am just a user of Endnote, not with the company).