Ambiguous citations letter format

Hi, I’m running Endnote X7.7 with Win 7 Word 2013.

I have a problem with ambiguous citations: Endnote puts citations in wrong format, regardless of a style.

For example, I have two references of the same author and year:
Bomhard, Allan R. (2008). Recent Trends in Nostratic Comparative Linguistics. Bulletin of the Georgian National Academy of Sciences 2(4), 148-163.
Bomhard, Allan R. (2008). Reconstructing Proto-Nostratic. Comparative Phonology, Morphology, and Vocabulary, t. 1-2 (Leiden Indo-European Etymological Dictionary Series, t. 6). Leiden – Boston: E. J. Brill.

In the section Ambiguous Citations I’ve marked “Add a letter after the year” and I’ve selected letter format as “2000a, b”. Unfortunately, my in-text references have format Bomhard (2008a, 2008b) but I need Bomhard (2008a, b). I’ve tried to switch a different style but it doesn’t solve the problem. In every style there is the same format (I’ve never customise these styles). I opened a new document to insert the same or even different references but still with no effect. I use EndNote from X5 ver. and such a problem has happened for the first time.
I haven’t changed any settings to the EndNote.

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Try it once by changing to the attached style  which worked fine with a single author who published in the same year from my library .  If that doesn’t work make sure the author field in the two references is exactly the same.  Copy it from one and delete it from the other and paste in the copy.  

Does it work now? 

I have Endnote X7.7 and Word 365/2016 on a PC running Windows

Cell Copy.ens (12.9 KB)

Hi, thanks for trying to help me. Your style doesn’t change anything - still I have a format AUTHOR (YEARa,YEARb); I should say there’s no such a problem in a in-text citations type (Author Year) - in such cases format is correct: (AUTHOR YEARa, b). I’ve noticed testing your style that there is even something wrong with citations in footnotes, instead of expected format EndNote puts whole reference, i.e. the same as in the end of my document. Of course, I’ve made sure the author field in the two references is exactly the same before posting my request for help, moreover I’ve tried many different references with the same author and year of publish.

I have never used mine in a footnote, so that is probably the difference, so if you are inserting them into the footnotes then it is set to use the same format as the bibliography, rather then the citation settings (or the footnotes settings).  I notice that the footnote doesn’t have an ambigous setting of its own though.  – I made a change to the footnote setting on the attached to use the citation settings, and it worked, but that might not do the ibid type setting correctly.  
Cell Copy.ens (13.8 KB)

I insert them both into teh text and the footnotes. In both cases it doesn’t work. I still have as below:

(Bomhard, 2008a, b) - citation template: (Author, Year)

Bomhard (2008a, 2008b) - citation template: Author (Year)

aaa[1]

Bomhard, A.R. (2008a). Recent Trends in Nostratic Comparative Linguistics. Bulletin  of  the  Georgian  National  Academy  of  Sciences 2, 148-163.

Bomhard, A.R. (2008b). Reconstructing Proto-Nostratic. Comparative Phonology, Morphology, and Vocabulary, Vol 1-2 (Leiden – Boston: E. J. Brill).

In the footnote:

[1] Bomhard, A.R. (2008a). Recent Trends in Nostratic Comparative Linguistics. Bulletin  of  the  Georgian  National  Academy  of  Sciences 2, 148-163, Bomhard, A.R. (2008b). Reconstructing Proto-Nostratic. Comparative Phonology, Morphology, and Vocabulary, Vol 1-2 (Leiden – Boston: E. J. Brill).

Is any way to fix it? What do you think? I really consider to reinstall EndNote or my Word (a use 20013/365)

Thanks.

Ahhh,  just realized we are talking at cross purposes (and you certainly clarified it a number of times in your posts!).  

I am surprised you can even apply the Author (year) option at all to a multiple citation.  – that is usually reserved for a single citation because the situation you are trying to use, won’t work at all for usual multiple citations which have different authors. 

My solution would be to go back to the old fashion way of handling these, and hide the authors in both  (Author, Year) format of these and type the author name in.

Sorry.   

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

I really appreciate your help! It seems that such function worked in previous verssion. Sorry, my mistake. 

1 Like