...Analyse Keywords

Is it possible to analyse the keywords in my library; for example, to identify which are the most common keywords across a group of publications?  I don’t mean run a keyword search - rather some sort of metadata analysis.  Thanks!

Unfortunately, Endnote cannot perform that type of analysis. You could, however, export the keyword field from the Endnote records and use either the “Find” function in MS Word to locate and count the frequency of a given keyword or use qualitative data analysis software if you want to run more complex analyses.

1 Like

You cantry the Subject Bibliography tool in the Tools dropdown (near botton on PC ver of Endnote). – Then choose the Keywords (see first attachment).  It will come up with a table and you can sort on the number  (as I did in the second attachment).  You can then see how many times a keyword has been used for the selected group of records, or the entire library.  

Capture.JPG

1 Like

Thank you so much, both of you!  That’s done just what I need to!  Many, many thanks.

Thank you so much, both of you!  That’s done just what I need to!  Could you tell me how to export only the keywords please?

Use the output style file (attached) to export the Keywords data field*. Refer to image #1 (top) to view how the output style file template designates the Keyword field as the only item to be exported. The image below shows how to export the references (from a Windows environment). Note if you are exporting keywords from selected references it might be easier to manage the references if you first create a group then drag the targeted references into the group. Then all you need to do is select all the references within the group.

The resulting keyword list (using the attached output style file) is shown in image #2.

*To install the output style file:

1. First download the file to your desktop.
  2. Double-click the file which will open the Endnote program (if it isn’t already running).
  3. In EndNote, go to “File Menu” and choose “Save As”. You can replace the word “Copy” in the file name or rename the style and click “Save”.
  4. Click on “File Menu” and choose “Close Style”.
    Export Keyword_ch5.ens (5.29 KB)