Author List

For some reason two of the studies (both studies are written in the same year with the same primary author) I am referencing with more than 3 authors are being written with two or three author names before et al in my in text references.

The first reference is being written as;

Stice, Marti, Shaw et al., 2008

The second reference is being written as;

Stice, Spoor, Marti et al., 2008. 

Ideally, I would like these two references to be written in-text as; (Stice et al., 2008a) and (Stice et al., 2008b).

I have checked my output style and my citation author lists are set within the normal settings (to list et al after one author). Other studies with multiple authors are being referenced correctly, so I dont understand why these two won’t cooperate!!

Many Thanks!

Is Stice entered exactly the same in the two citations?  If not, Endnote maybe assuming he is two differenct people and won’t treat them as expected.  Copy one version to the other record and see if it fixes the issue?  even an extra space or if the initials are entered differently or if one has the firstname and the other initials - they will be treated as different authors.  

Hi Leanne,

Thanks for your suggestion. I went through and double checked all my authors, but unfortunately it did not solve the issue :frowning:

You may need to check the setting in the style you are using for Ambiguous Citations:

In EndNote you can go to Edit > Output Styles > Open Style Manager > locate the style you are using > Click Edit > go to Ambiguous Citations under Citations > here you might need to uncheck the option for Include the author initials or full name in citation > go To File > Save As > (EndNote will not allow you to change the existing style in EndNote but will always apply the change to a copy of the style) Click Save to save the changes to a copy of the style > close the style window.

You would then update the document to get these changes to show up.

If this does not help then please contact Technical Support directly

1-800-336-4474 option 4 then 1

or
https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/technicalsupport?language=en_US

Hi Tony,

Thank you so much for your help, the problem is all fixed!!

Many Thanks,

Danielle

I am glad that I was able to help.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.