Bibliography re-references to in-text citations

How to create bibliography post endings (bold-bracketed) in the style of:

1. Odd Name… 2018. [Pages 3, 12 and 18]

…where reference #1 is referred to on pages 3, 12 and 18 in the text. Is this possible, ideally with hyper-links, in EndNote by editing the Bibliography Template or otherwise?

While you may not be able to hyperlink the numbers with the relevant citations, you can add the part “[Pages 3, 12 and 18]” part using the Prefix field in “Edit and manage citations” window.

On the EndNote tab, press edit and manage citations to bring up the window.

Hope this helps a little!

– Shriram

Thank you Shriram for the response and suggestion. I may have been a bit imprecise in my question. The re-references “[Pages 3, 12 and 18]” refers to positions in the same document in-line text, i.e. the same document in which the bibliography is a part, (not (static) page positions within reference #1). That is, the actual page numbers 3, 12, and 18 will change as the document is modified, adding or deleting text, and may futher (in one other aspect) be 3, 12, 18 and 24 if another reference to #1 is added in the the same document in-line text. 

If I understand your suggestion correctly, the Prefix (postfix?) appended “[Pages 3, 12 and 18]” is in plain (static) text format, not as variable page numbers, which do not provide a reasonable functionality to fullfil the task given a +100 references in the Bibliography and one or a few re-reference positions for each.

Please bare with me if I misinterpreted your suggestion.

Mikael

The short answer is, No, this is not possible.  I don’t see anyway to have “indexed” information which is a field in it self, embedded in endnote bibliography, which is a field already.  

What you need is for the bibliography template to accommodate dynamic changes linked to page numbers cited in an in-text citation. Unfortunately, Endnote is unable to accommodate what you are seeking to do.

It seems a bit usual to include pagination info in the bibliography entry when it is already cited in-text – why the need for duplicated info? Is this a style guideline requirement for publication? Although Endnote cannot accommodate your requested format a possible workaround is to create a custom field to accommodate pagination info to be inserted in the bibliography template. This will create a bibliography entry showing the pagination. However, this is a static fix (not dynamic) fix so it calls for manual adjustments each time the relevant bibliography entry needs to be modified.

Thank you for the response Leanne. Although negative, it helps knowing that I need not look further, without a gnarly feeling of a built-in functionality may be available.

@CrazyGecko: The motivation is not to meet a style guideline requirement for publication but my eager to facilitate an active use of the bibliography by the reader. If the bibliography is in alphabetic order the suggestion is especially helpful giving a swift overview of where to find the in-text reference positions to the reader’s selection of the most relevant references within the bibliograhpy. I have seen this once in a PhD thesis and it inspires me to follow the good example in my current thesis writing.

Your suggested workaround is indeed interesting - possibly combined with (custom field) bookmarks that may accomplish a semi-automated pagination. Semi-automated such that every position/bookmark need to be manuallly included in the text and in the custom field (once for each reference position), but all following pagingation is automatically updated with other text editing (causing referred to page numbers to change). But, as said, this hoped for functionality is not yet verified by me.

I can understand the possible usefulness, but usually, one would have an “index” to achieve this kind of locator information.  That would be more powerful and could relate to more than just citations and would live outside the bibliography it self.  

I realize that this is far from a commonly sought for functionality. 

However, the essential benefit as I see, is the combined info - bibliography items and page pointers - which gives an surpreme instant overview for the references you consider of the highest interest. An index would not achieve such an swift overview as two separate information sources have to be combine manually. (e.g. ctrl-shift-f in Acrobat Reader is a not-so-swift alternative, but do the job). Implementing this functionality in the EndNote software appears close to trivial (given the already implemented functionality - all the apparent necessary part-functions are already available.). 

Thanks for your valuable respons, Leanne; appreciated.