Can a citation with a page number be placed at the beginning of citations, out of alphabetical order?

Morning all,

I have been struggling to work out how, if possible, a citation with a page number can be placed with others but at the start, i.e. 

(Danby and Farrell, 2004, p. 35) (Cunningham, 1996; Oswell, 2013; Davis, 2014)

becomes

(Danby and Farrell, 2004, p. 35; see also Cunningham, 1996; Oswell, 2013; Davis, 2014)

I have been told this is possible to do, but alas have been unable to find out how!

Does anyone have any kind wisdom to share here?

Many thanks,

Ryan

The output styles in EndNote will normally apply a sort to the citations inserted into your document.

You can adjust the setting but the sort will apply to all the citations in the document you cannot have one grouped citation use a different sort.

You could type that citation group into the document instead of using EndNote and as long as you use the references in another place in the document they would be included in the bibliography.

You could change the sort order setting for citations to Don’t Sort which does allow you to adjust the citation order manually.

In EndNote you can go to Edit > Output Styles > Open Style Manager > locate the style you are using > Click Edit > go to Sort Order under Citations > here change the setting to Don’t Sort > go To File > Save As > close the style window.

After you insert the citations into the document you can use Edit and Manage Citations in Word then use the arrows to move the order of the citations in a group manually.

Please contact Technical Support directly if you need help with the steps above.

1-800-336-4474 option 4 then 1

or

https://endnote.com/contact/

We are here to help whenever you run into issues.

Thank you so much! That’s really useful, and appreciate you taking the time to support here.