Cannot Edit Bibliography "Document not open"

SOLVED

This issue with ‘bad parameter’ can still happen in Windows 10/Endnote x9, preventing you from changing the settings for formatting the References. This is beside the fact that EndNote should use and not replace document styles each time.

My original problem description:

In a blank/new document or an existing one with Endnote citations, I go to ‘Tools’. Within the ‘Format Bibliography’ tab, the ‘Format Document’ dropdown is blank. On selecting it I first get ‘parameter incorrect’. Then there is a choice for ‘EndNote Cwyw.dotm’, but if I choose it, I get “Bad file name”.

Choosing the ‘Layout’ tab I get the error, " cannot be formatted because it is no longer open. Please chose another document". 

I’ve tried repairing the CWYW tools and switching styles in the document and it stays the same errors.

After many weeks and hours of work, I have solved this myself after Endnote support was unable to provide a solution. I’d already tried deleting all the EndNote Registry keys, deleting/re-creating Word’s ‘normal.dotm’ and un/re-installing Endnote.

I hope this helps others:

1. In Word, go to the File Menu and choose “Options.”

2. Select “Add-Ins” from the list at the left.

3. At the bottom of the Add-Ins page, there is a “Manage:” dropdown list. Leave this on “Word Add-ins” (not “COM Add-ins”) and select Go.

4. On the COM Add-Ins page, choose the “Add” button.

5. Browse to  C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ResearchSoft\Cwyw\19\ and select C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ResearchSoft\Cwyw\19\EndNote Cwyw.dotm

6. This is added and ticked.

7. Untick any other entries or, perhaps better, ‘Remove’ them.

Problem solved. Good luck!
Endnote.jpg

1 Like