Chapters

I am editing my thesis and the Graduate Studies office wants me to format my citations so that within each chapter the references start over.  In other words, if a citation is in a prior chapter, it can’t just use the short form, the first time it appears in the new chapter.  I had never heard of this, of course, and I have NO idea how to change this within the document.

Does ANYONE know how to fix this?

Only by separating the chapters into separate documents.

What if you *do* want the short form in the next chapter? Which one is the right way for a thesis? Is either correct?

According to the graduate studies at CSU Fresno, the footnotes start recounting and revert to long form at the beginning of each chapter.  I’ll have to fix everything that I can within EndNote, then generate a codestripped document (which messes up some of the other formatting, for some reason) and then manually cut’n’paste and adjust 310 footnotes. 

Oh well.

To my knowledge, these issues are either specifically addressed in “thesis” formating guidelines for each University, or are up to the student/supervisor to decide, as long as they are consistently applied in the thesis. 

@benjamin wrote:
What if you *do* want the short form in the next chapter? Which one is the right way for a thesis? Is either correct?

I don’t think that happens, because if bibliography is attached at the end of each chapter, with each unique number, short form across the chapter will likely confuse which citation it is pointing at.

Endnote does not have ability to format “part” of the document (I wish it has). So, separating long documents into chapters or sections, format each document, edit to final, de-code, and merge, is the best (current) method.