Check to identify a style

I have, for example, this reference. I would  like to know which style it is (APA or MLA or …). Is there any way to check to know the style of a reference? Can I checK?

Afarli, T. A. (1989) ‘Passive in Norwegian and in English’, Linguistic Inquiry 20: 101–108.

Thanks in advance.

Message Edited by rapgreen on 12-27-2009 09:28 AM

I just checked and it isn’t either MLA or APA.  In endnote you can preview what the style produces.  Edit>Output Styles>Open Style Manager, and there is an Info/preview button which toggles between the two.  Then you can move thru the styles you have available, find something close, and edit it to your (or your publisher’s) requirements. Alternatively you can peruse this threadfor something close to your requirements and down load the one closes. 

Message Edited by Leanne on 12-28-2009 02:15 PM

Thanks a lot, leanne.

I am using Endnote X2. Checking thru thousands of styles, I supposed, is the hardest job due to the fact that it maybe takes a whole day and a sleepless night to find out a style of a reference.

I hope in the future users only input a reference and then Endnote is able to recognize that reference style in just a few seconds or one or 2 clicks.

Thanks again for your suggestion but please don’t forget to consider my suggestion either.

Best

Well… the thread Leanne suggested above has a collection of output style templates that have been “organized” by the style of references (how authors, journal, etc appear), not by the name of journals.

In your example, the author style is Surname-Given name order, with a period after initial. This is SG1 style in the definition in that thread.

Then, year comes after that with parenthesis. So, look for style templates that start with SG1_(Yr), and they should be close enough for your journal’s instruction. You may need to tweak a little bit, for example add ’ around the title of the article, but such modification is usually trivial to deal with. The templates in the thread covers most (not all) of major journals, but somewhat biased to biomedical/science field.

I guess your example is a derivative of APA style, but we need to know the in-text citation is order by Author-Year. You can’t find the style you want in a few seconds, but probably in a couple of minutes. That’s what the style collection is meant for. In the end, you don’t need to know the name of the citation style, but just “how it should be formatted”.

Message Edited by myoshigi on 12-28-2009 09:54 PM

Hi ,

I would like to ask the same question but after 8 years. There is any possibliity that I give the example of reference style I need, i.e. 

Calenda, Davide, & Meijer, Albert. (2009). Young People, the Internet and Political Participation. Information, Communication & Society, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 879-898. doi:10.1080/13691180802158508

and EndNote show me what style it is? Or what style is the closest what I demand ?

(The exemple is accidentionally, I am asking about rule)

Thanks in advance

Anna

@annamierzecka wrote:

I would like to ask the same question…is [there] any possibliity that I give the example of reference style I need, i.e. 

Calenda, Davide, & Meijer, Albert. (2009). Young People, the Internet and Political Participation. Information, Communication & Society, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 879-898. doi:10.1080/13691180802158508

and EndNote show me what style it is? Or what style is the closest what I demand ?

(The exemple is accidentionally, I am asking about rule)

The “rule” is determined by the style guideline: 1) for your academic field or discipline of study, or 2) what is requested by a publisher or institution/organization. The information in turn should direct you to the appropriate style guidelines (e.g. manual) and Endnote output style file to apply to your project.

Thank you, but this one I know :wink:

Although sometime it happens that the journal gives you the style examples (i.e. 

Articles in journals: Murdock, Graham (2004) ‘Past the Posts: Rethinking Change, Retrieving Critique’. European Journal of Communication 19(1): 19-38. - the example from European Journal of Communication).

They do NOT write what is the style name (i.e. APA 6th. Chicago, etc.) nor you cannot find them on 

EndNote Output Styles 

In this situation would be useful to have a tool which recognize what is the style or which style existing in EndNote would be the closest to adapt.

Does  such a option/tool existe?

no tool, no.  – just the thread referred to by myoshigi above (or below if you reverse your order, like I do). 

This thread  where he spent a lot of time creating a code to define the author style, order including font attributes to create a more streamlined selection of styles, which get you close to most requirements.  Then I provided examples of most of them for the code challenged.  

Usually giving the requirement links and examples here, allows one to help other users find an appropriate style.  Usually the same publisher or other publishers in similar fields, if there is a style, can be close to a journal who doesn’t have one in the endnote collection.  sometimes I browse the styles I have in the style Manager (Preview tab)  see attached.  (you get to style manager, from Endnote’s Edit menu> edit output styles, third option in the list.).  

Hello, what is the following referencing style? The journal gave me this as an example, but i do not know the style and i could find it using the endnote!

Due to the high connectivity of China to international airports, the early outbreak in China spread rapidly to cities and countries with high air passenger volumes from China (Bogoch et al., 2020).

Bibliography:

Bogoch II, Watts A, Thomas-Bachli A, Huber C, Kraemer MUG, Khan K (2020). Pneumonia of unknown etiology in Wuhan, China: potential for international spread via commercial air travel. J Travel Med. 2020;27(2): 1-3. Crossref