Citation appearing in curly braces { } instead of parens

Hi, I’m sure there is an easy answer to this but I can’t find out why my document started showing citations with

curly braces, name, date, and citation count number, rather than the usual parenthesis with just the name and date

. I have checked to make sure that the Show field codes" item is not checked under Word 2007 options. 

My computer uses Vista. Thanks

Message Edited by lhawkblue on 10-07-2008 08:13 PM

It is likely that you unformated the references,which turns off Cite While You Write (CWYW).  Turn it on again from the Format Bibliography option on the toolbar or in the Word, tools, endnote tools> format bibliography option.  – it will be on the third tab. 

(updated X7 and X8 – the option is now on the Endnote ribbon -( a toggle “Instant formating is ON” or “is OFF”  and  you don’t need to go into the bibliography menu).  You can also manually “update …” when ever you prefer, if it is “off” – just remember to do so before submitting! )

1 Like

Leanne,

Thanks for the help.  I would never have found this on my own.:smiley:   

If anyone is looking for this solution more recently (like me), I fugured out you have to turn back on your instant formatting.  In your word doc, endnote x8 tab, make sure instant formatting is turned on

I too have got the problem rectified with this…thank you so much.:smiley:

@leanne wrote:

It is likely that you unformated the references,which turns off Cite While You Write (CWYW).  Turn it on again from the Format Bibliography option on the toolbar or in the Word, tools, endnote tools> format bibliography option.  – it will be on the third tab. 

can anyone please help me to sort this problem with the endnote citation 

Thanka and regards

Hi there,

I am having the same issue as lhawkblue, with my references appearing in curly backets in the fromat: {George, 2011 #73}, rather than (George, 2011).

The solve mentioned above didn’t work for me, my instant formatting is turned on and the problem persists.

Could you please advise me on how to address this?

Cheers,

Max

Hi there,

I’m having the same issue as lhawkblue, with my references appeaing in the format {george, 2011 #73}, rather than (George, 2011) when I have output style set to APA 7th.

The solve mentioned above didn’t work for me, my instant formatting is turned on an the problem persists.

Coul you please let me know how to go about fixing this?

Cheers,

Max

Thank you. In Endnote 9, Word 2016, it was instant formating is off. Third colum under Endnot 9X in Word.

Thank you. In Endnote 9X and Word 2016, it was instant formatting is off in the third column under Endnote X9 in Word. I changed to on.