Citations in text only, not in footnote/endnote -- can Endnote XI do it?

CWYW is great for footnotes/endnotes but I have a problem. It’s driving me crazy because I’m completing a book and have a looming deadline!! Help appreciated!

Footnotes/endnotes work beautifully and create an instant bibliography. However, 

After each document in my anthology I have 

SOURCE: [should be in footnote style Chicago]

RECOMMENDED READINGS: [should be in footnote/endnote style Chicago]

I’ve inserted the citations in the text but NOT IN A FOOTNOTE/ENDNOTE. They disappear or return to the simple bracket form (unformatted). 

***1. Is there a way to get a citation in the text only (not in a footnote/endnote???).

1. And still have them added to the bibliography?

At this point, I’m about to give up and just type all the hundreds of references. (I can’t find an Endnote Style to simply 'Copy Formatted Material" that isn’t Bibliography only – I need FOOTNOTE style! Aaaargh. 

Help! 

Under editing Chicago A style there are four general categories

Citations

Bibliography

Footnotes

Figures/Tables

The Citations is all blank. Is this what I need? 

At another site, someone gave this advice but didn’t say HOW to insert info. into the blank Citations template for Chicago A. Why is it blank??

You sound desperate, and while I don’t know the answer to your problem or what you are trying to achieve, here are some random thoughts as they occured to me.  

See:  http://lists.adeptscience.co.uk/endnote/endnote_Aug_2005/thid_39b160c6f3843adee76c6eaac0909c06.html

Also, the “about this style” for A advises (in version ENX)

“This style requires both footnotes and bibliography. To add cited pages to your in-text citations and footnotes, include them in your in-text citation by adding an “@” symbol followed by the pages:
[Wilde, 1895 #32@ 88]”

Although the fact that the citation section is empty would seem to confound this advice?   

So, if you want the citation  – (authorname, year pp CITED PAGES) information, to always appear in the body of the text.  Edit the style to include

(Author Year|,*pp*Cited Pages|) where the * are inserted field, link adjacent, and the | are inserted field - forced separation. 

If you just want the inserted citations to show up in the bibliography at the end, I think the current style achieves that, they just disappear from the body of the text  but are listed in the “endnotes” (as it appears the style requirements demand).

If you want something different, perhaps you need to give us a more extensive example of your output requirements.  Also, is there a output bibliography style that matches what you want?  In that case, you could, (in EndNote) have that syle showing and do the copy formated (ctrl K) and paste it into your document as plain text?  Would that help you? 

Thanks for the fast response!

Yes, I am looking for something like this:

"So, if you want the citation  – (authorname, year pp CITED PAGES) information, to always appear in the body of the text.  Edit the style to include

(Author Year|,*pp*Cited Pages|) where the * are inserted field, link adjacent, and the | are inserted field - forced separation."

The easiest way would be to copy the Footnote Template info. to the Citations Template but it won’t allow that. 

Here’s the thing: When I try to edit Citations Template it has “Insert Field” but no “Insert Reference Types.” The templates for the other categories have Reference Types – an obvious “must” for someone creating a custom Citation in-text template. Was this an oversight by Endnote developers? 

I know that Endnote (or someone) gathered people’s custom templates over the years. I developed one for Procite but made the move to Endnote when I thought version XI was good enough.

Any thoughts on the above? Thanks a million. 

You need to EDIT the Chicago output style to include appropriate fields in the Citation Template.

1. Launch Endnote.

2. Click on EDIT (menu at top) and hover over OUTPUT STYLE.

3. Click on OPEN STYLE MANAGER.

4.  Select the Chicago version you want to modify (A or B) and click on EDIT.

1. IMMEDIATELY save the output style with a new name - i.e. Chicago (Jonbean’s)

2. Click on  TEMPLATES under “Citation”.

3. Click in the text book and insert left parenthesis.

8.  Click on INSERT FIELD and click on the first field to include (e.g. AUTHOR). This field will be inserted in the text box.

9. Add whatever punctuation  you need, such as commas, periods, and other fields.

10.  Insert the right parenthesis.  

When you are all done, save the style.  Now use this style for inserting intext citations. 

Citations in the body of the text cannot be formated differently for different reference types in Endnote.

I can’t really think of a style that asks for that for an in-text citation, which usually refers the reader to a footnote or to a bibliography at the end? 

Your best bet would be to copy formated, from a style that matches what you want in your source list and paste them in.   

Emily,

I’ll give that a try but will it cover all reference types?? 

As for purposes – a review essay, for example, might discuss a number of recent books that deal with X topic: followed by a list in footnote style (not bib style). There are lots of other uses but that’s an obvious one.

Right now, I’ll think I’ll use Zotero, although it’s added work. I also use Zotero to keep a running list of material and then insert in Word in footnote style. (Endnote Web doesn’t work nearly as well and is limited to subscription sites). 

Jon,

Once you have created the citation format in your modified output style, then take a look at the templates for Bibliography and Footnotes. You can copy/paste each of  the reference type templates in Footnotes into the corresponding reference type in the Bibliography template (one at a time), replacing the existing Bibliography reference type formats.  This will format your Bibliography that you need. Chicago 15 A has all major reference types defined in both Footnote and Bibliography - use their Footnote template as your starting point…

To get a list of Recommended readings (not necessarily cited?), separate from the cited sources (as footnotes)? Is that what you are trying to get?

So Cite things in footnotes, and then -why not use a label or other custom field to put a specific “topic” in the records themselves, and then generate subject bibliographies using the “subject bibiography…” tool and paste them in the specific place in the text you want them to be. You might be able to do something similar using the groups of Endnote XI, but since I haven’t upgraded to that, I can’t suggest the best way to achieve what you are working toward. They will not be dynamic, but once you know what you want to list there, do you really care? You can later add another one (using the copy format) or generating a new list and replacing it. – I guess I am happy I am in the sciences and not the humanities!

With the subject route: This will generate a list or lists sorted by the selected subject which can be saved to a file. You can generate a document with several subjects listed separately, which you can copy and paste each section, into your document.

Again be sure the Endnote program has the appropriate style selected so that it outputs the information in the specific format you are looking for. It really doesn’t matter if it originates from the footnote syle or footnote/endnote style of Chicago. Copy and paste the template you want from Chicago into the bibliography place (of a copy of Chicago if you like) and use that saved new style to generate the copy formated to paste or the subject bibiography.