Citations must be formatted to use the Edit Citations tool.

Dear All 

I am using a paid version of endnote X8 ( just purchased it 2 days ago) with Microsoft Word 365 pain version, on Macbook pro 

I got the following message in which the references could not be edited and it appears on manscript as 

{Osenbach, 1990 #512} although the - instant formatting is on and on tool also i tried to edit the reference the following message appear 

This document does not contain any editable citations.

Citations must be formatted to use the Edit Citations tool.

can I know what is  the problem and how can I solve it, please 

Is it possible that your endnote preferences are looking for a tempory delimiter that is different than the default curly bracket?  You can check in the edit bibliography menu (just for that manuscript) or Endnote preferences (for all manuscripts) settings.  Both are shown in images attached.  

Capture.JPG

Dear Leanne 

thank you for your reply 

I checked it, it looks same as appear in the captured pic that you sent, so what to do?

Dear All 

When I tried to insert a reference the following message has appeared 

A COM exception has occurred 

cannot edit range 

and the reference appear as follow 

{Rohde, 1998 #485

There are quite a few knowledge base article on Com exeptions. 

Have you installed Mendeley?  https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/article/EndNote-Cannot-edit-Range?language=en_US 

if not, check out some of the others

see  https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/search/All/Home/com%20exception?language=en_US 

Yes, I note you say you were trying to “edit citations” but first you need to format them – “update citations and bibliography” but if you are getting that com exception, you need to figure that out first.  

Hi…i got the same problem… How we can edit that citation into plain text? 

For the record, the citations don’t neccesarily have to be formatted to be edited. They just have to be formatted to use the built-in Edit Citations tool. As such, if you would like to add pages to your citation you would add “@[page]” at the end of the unformatted citation, e.g. {Rohde, 1998 #485@4-5}; if you would like to add a prefix to your citation you would add “[prefix]” at the beginning, e.g. {test\Rohde, 1998 #485}; and so on depending on what it is you would like to edit with the citation.

However, this just let’s you edit a citation that is unformatted and you would later have to format your citations if you would like to have the citations automatically appear in your bibliography for example. The manual edits would then “transfer” to the now formatted citations. This method could be used to faster edit your citations if the bibliography of the document is quite extensive and it takes a considerable amount of time for the citations to be formatted.

This may or may not be an answer to your question, depending on what it is you would like to edit with the citation and to what purpose.