Citing multiple non-continuous pages.

Hello

I have quotations from two different pages in a journal paper.  I am struggling with adding this to the citation.

I can get a single page to display nicely, just not multiple, non-continuous page numbers.

How do I add them please to cited pages.  Say the quotes are from pages 7 & 11, do I enter “7&11”, or “7,11” in the “pages” field in ‘edit citation’.

Thanks in advance for any gem that illuminates my path.

Ben.

How should it appear in your citation in the style you’re using? Whatever you write in Edit citation will show up as you write it (except for page ranges like 7-11, which will be formatted according to the rules set up in your output style).

What happens when you write either 7 & 11 or 7, 11 in the Cited pages field?

Thanks Oisiiin.

Putting “7,11” into the Pages field in Edit citation

with an Endnote citation format of (Author, |Year|, p.^pp.Cited Pages )

results in (Sekhon, Cartwright et al., 2017, pp.7 ).

It loses the “,11”.

Any ideas?  Am I making some silly mistake?

Ben.

If you “convert to unformatted citations” is there an ` in front of the comma? 

{Comstock, 2012, 17348186@7`,11} 

But pages fields are special and sometimes Endnote treats them as ranges automatically, and this is why I recommend you put the text in suffix rather than in cited pages.  

You can switch from cited pages to suffix, by converting the citations to unformated and search for @and replace with a comma and space followed by any notation you want to include.  you also need the grave accent () in front of any punctuation such as a comma or semi-colon which endnote would otherwise interpret incorrectly.    If you insert the text in the suffix field of the edit citation box, it will altomatically insert the where needed.  

, p. 7`,11 .  

As Leanne hinted, the comma can sometimes be treated as a delimiter (like how, in unformatted citations, the author and the year are separated by a comma), which can make it break. I think it depends on your output style.

In the output style I use, writing “7, 11” in the Pages field in Edit citation works as expected. Even writing “7,11” as you did (with no space after the comma) works.

I very rarely work with formatted citations – they’re a pain to maintain – so I’m afraid I’m not much help here. If you want to save yourself some headaches, I’d suggest working with unformatted citations instead. That way you don’t have to deal with the EndNote plugin spending ages recreating your entire bibliography from scratch every time you change a comma in a citation somewhere; and you also don’t risk accidentally fixing a typo or something in the formatted citation (by just changing the visible text, rather than going to Edit citation and changing it there), only to have your change undone the next time you edit a citation anywhere in the document.

If you work with unformatted citations, you will always be able to write non-continuous pages with commas – just put a backtick (`) in front of the comma to tell EndNote that it must treat it like a literal text-string comma, not an EndNote field delimiter.

@leanne wrote:

But pages fields are special and sometimes Endnote treats them as ranges automatically, and this is why I recommend you put the text in suffix rather than in cited pages.  

This has its drawbacks too, though. There’s a reason Pages fields are special: the formatting of page ranges is often defined in output styles: should it say “135-139” or “135–139” or “135–39” or “135–9”, or any of a number of other possible ways to format that page range?

The pseudo-intelligent processing of the Pages field ensures that page ranges are always formatted correctly, so even if you write “135-9” EndNote will make it “135–139” if that’s what the output style dictates. There’s no such feature for suffixes. Backticks for literal strings (writing “7`, 11”) works in the Pages field just as in the Suffix field, too (though only in unformatted citations, naturally).

but it obviously wasn’t working for the Original Poster, so I was suggesting an alternative.  The Pages field as designed is to handle page spreads and not individual pages.  That was the issue of the Original poster.  Hence - use cited pages when they are 1-5 but use suffix when it isn’t a conventional use of the field.