Converting manually created in-text citations to EndNote

Hi All,

I have a long literature review I wrote in Word 2010 for Mac, prior to having/using EndNote. When I created this document, I manually typed out each of my in text citations.

I am still using Word 2010 for Mac, but now I am using EndNote to insert citations.  

For this old document is there anyway to update my “manually written” in text citations to End Note inserted ones, without re-doing them all? All of the references used in this document are in my end note library already.

Thanks in advance for your help!

If the in-text citations are author year citations then you can try the following. The steps will not work with numbered citations.

If you used an author/year output style, there is a trick you can use to simplify this process:

1. In the document, do the following:

Windows Word 2007 and later with Endnote X1 and later : Go to the EndNote tab. Click the arrow icon directly to the right of  the “Bibliography” label.

Windows Word 2007 and later  with EndNote X and earlier : Go to the Add-Ins tab and choose “EndNote > Format Bibliography.”

Word X / 2000 / 2002(XP) / 2003 / 2004 / 2008 / 2011: Go to the “Tools” Menu and choose “EndNote > Format Bibliography.”

Mac Word 2016 with EndNote X7 and later : Go to the EndNote tab. On the Bibliography drop down choose “Configure Bibliography…”
2. Here, change the temporary citation delimiters to ( and ) , which should match the citations currently in the document.
3. Click OK, and the format process should begin. You will get an “EndNote Select Matching Reference” window, where you can insert the correct citation for the unmatched reference.
4. Please see our website for more information on how to select the correct reference to insert here.

http://endnote.com/kb/81197

Don’t forget to change the temporary citation symbols back after you have formatted the paper, or you will get an Endnote trigger everytime including those parenthetical statements that aren’t citations.  

if the style was numbers, Here are some abbreviated instructions.  If you need to follow these and aren’t familiar with some of the tools, I can generate some screen shots to go along with these and clarify instructions.  

first turn off instant formating.

Always before starting, make a back up library of your current library (just to be safe) and of your document. Carefully search for and manually convert your numbers to record numbers look alikes [#1][#2] or  [#1; #2]  if individual brackets, don’t leave any space between them. 

Then in your endnote library, copy your record numbers from Record Number into the label field, if you don’t use that in your stable library for something else.

So now it will replicate the RecNo using the attached output style…

Now create an endnote library to match, by dragging and dropping each citation in order to a new library.  I use the square bracket rather than the curly bracket to create these, and make that change to the temporary citation delimiters.  

You probably need to adjust the preferences to Not Remove author or year when not present in the temporary citations –

turn of instant formatting, so no bibliography is generated.  

The atached output style will convert the numbers into temporary citations look-alikes,  I also

Now save the document and change you temporary delimiters to curly brackets and make a copy of it.  Now try to format this paper with your original library and your normal output style.  

These should be recognized with your new library, after yo convert ,with your normal library.  In fact, you could use the page number rather than record numbers in the look-alikes and it should be seamless to convert with you normal library.  
Temporary-curly-Label.ens (5.23 KB)