Sitemap | EndNote
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
New User

Creating a cross-reference to a footnote number?

[ Edited ]

Can EndNote create a cross-reference to a footnote number? For example, "John Doe, supra note 3, at 132".

Of course, the cross-reference needs to be automatically updated as the first footnote citing the source changes its number.

Both Zotero and Refworks are lacking in this functionality.

New User

Re: Creating a cross-reference to a footnote number?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I have the same problem. It is pretty basic functionality for legal writing I would think and gives me a headache after a first draft is finished if I go back and want to rearrange, amend or delete sections. I do a lot of cross-referencing. 

Mentor

Are you using a numbered style or an author-date style? It’s possible create a cross reference in Endnote but unfortunately it won’t be dynamic (automatically updating when the source changes numbers.) Would be a handy feature, however, so you might submit the idea on the product suggestion section of the forum.

New User

How does one create a cross-reference in EndNote? I haven't been able to find any documentation.

Like the OP, I need subsequent citations in the form "Surname, supra note __, at pp." I'm using a style modified from the Bluebook Law Review. The document has over 1000 footnotes with multiple citations per FN.

Mentor

I don't think this has been addressed in any newer versions.  Like the conflict between Table of Authorities fields and EndNote fields discussed in your other post, I think a similar problem would happen with indicies or cross ref word fields.  

(long time Endnote user)