Deleting multiple citations of the same article

Hi Guys,

Currently I’m managing a huge manuscript with loads of cited papers from which I want to remove a few. However some papers are cited multiple times and given the length of the paper it is quite complicated to find all occurences in the “Edit & Manage Citation(s)” menu. 

So my question is, if there is a convenient way to remove all citations of a selected paper? If not, it could be a nice feature to be added in the next version of EndNote: in the “Edit & Manage Citation(s)” menu, when the user clicks on the “Edit reference” button, in the drop-down menu, below the “Remove citation” there could be a “Remove all citation” option if the count is larger than 1, which would remove the given paper from all occurrences.

Thanks,

Daniel

Hello Daniel,

While there is no way to currently do this from the Edit & Manage Citation(s) dialog, this can be done using Word’s Find and Replace feature.

1. Save a backup of the document.
  2. Use the EndNote Convert to Unformatted Citations command.
  3. The citations will now be in the temporary format of {Author, Year #Record No.}.
  4. Use the Find and Replace command to delete all the items you wish to remove. If these citations are a part of any groups, you may need to run Find and Replace again to just search for Author, Year #Record No without the curly braces { and }.
  5. Once you have removed the citations you want, you can click the Update Citations and Bibliography command.

Thanks Jason, I think that is probably the most convenient way to solve this problem.