Deleting references

Hi,

there are some references in my library that I can’t delete. Neither via copy/paste into “trash” nor via right mouse button  “Move reference to trash”. Does anybody know why this is the case?

Thanks in advance!!

In Endnote?  What does the message say? Is it all references or just a few?  Unless you are on a “locked volume” and it is all the references?   

It neither says anything nor does it move to “trash” when I try to pull it with the left mouse button. It just stays the same after I clicked on “Move reference to trash” or “delete reference”.

But its just the case with about 3 of my 850 references so I think it is rather negligible. I just thought that others might have come across the same “problem”.

I have the same issue and it is frustrating.

After randomly open and close things, I went to the folder that contains the particular endnote of my paper, then I click on the “Trash” folder.  Inside the folder, there is a “trash” icon.  I deleted this icon and viola, the endnote works again and I can delete the unwanted references.

Hope the above helps.

benpiggy

Hi,

I just had the same problem but found a solution. Apparently, it is due to attachements (e.g. pdf of the reference). I deleted first the attachement and then I was able to delete the reference in the library.

Br,

aB

Just in case anyone runs across this thread later – we would never recommend deleting anything out of a library’s .data folder as Benpiggy suggested. It’s a creative solution, but removing things from the .data folder can sometimes cause unintended consquences.

Instead, for those who may experience this issue at some point, please make your first step to try recovering the library, as described here:

http://endnote.com/kb/82291

If that doesn’t help, please contact our technical support department for additional troubleshooting.

Not very helpful answer!!! The question asked was “How do you delete references from the library”? 

I am also very frustrated as  new Endnote user (I have used Reference Manager since 1984 -  and I love it…but it is no longer supporter unfortunately)…so I was practicising downloading references to see how to do it, and ended up with 800 refts in a “unified” folder whatever that is…(I tried to rename it and could not find a way!). Well, I clicked search a second time, and magically ended up with a second set of the same refs…now 1600 in my library - none of which I really want. 

Spent the last hour at least reading help files (there are none that show how to achieve this)…web questions, etc…and finally found the question above - but sending to trash: does not work:  Hitting cut: does not work!! As far as  I can see, there must not be a way to delete referneces without doing what the person baove did - deleting the file!!! 

so please, answer the question: How do you delete referneces from a library. Is it locked? if so how do you unlock it.? I am actually to the point that I cant use my endnote at all as its full of trash and I dont want to keep them…

did you find out how to remove references? My problem too - and there seems to be no answer…seems so simple, but nothing i tried worked…

Sounds like something is amiss - and I would call tech support if I were you?  I don’t think a user’s forum is going to figure this out without some back and forth conversation.  

Just in case it still matters…

I sorted this problem in this way:

1. Opened my existing library, selected only those refs I need

2. On right click chose “Copy References To”, then “New library”.

3. Closed all libraries.

4. Physically deleted file of the original library (with all crap I do not need in it). 

5. Sighed with a relief.

1. Opened the new library and saved it as my original library name.

2. Deleted the new library file.

Hope this helps.

Just in case it still matters…

I sorted this problem in this way:

1. Opened my existing library, selected only those refs I need.

2. On right click chose “Copy References To”, then “New library”.

3. Closed all libraries.

4. Physically deleted file of the original library (with all crap I do not need in it). 

5. Sighed with a relief.

1. Opened the new library and saved it as my original library name.

2. Deleted the new library file (not the newest!).

Hope this helps.