Displaying "pages" field in footnote if "cited pages" is empty??

I’m trying to figure out how to get a footnote citation of, say a book section, to display the page range of the chapter if no specific pages are being cited.

For example, I might want to cite the whole chapter of an edited book:

Kevin Corcoran, “Introduction: Soul or Body?,” in Soul, Body, and Survival: Essays on the Metaphysics of Human Persons, ed. Kevin Corcoran (Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2001), 1-11.

OR I might want to cite a specific page from that book

Kevin Corcoran, “Introduction: Soul or Body?,” in Soul, Body, and Survival: Essays on the Metaphysics of Human Persons, ed. Kevin Corcoran (Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2001), 12.

I had hoped that it would be possible to create a field substitution rule around this (to display the “pages” field if “cited pages” is empty), but there are only a few field substitution options available.

The only other option I’ve found is to manually insert the page range of the chapter as the cited pages when I cite it in Word. But I would only want to do this for the first ocurrence of each reference, and doing this manually could be time-consuming and tricky over the entirety of my thesis.

Any other options out there?

Thanks for any help :slight_smile: