Double copied..

Dear. People,

I just installed Endnote from Trial version.

Somehow, I think I copied the reference, and paste it, and my citations have doubled.

I see same citation twice.

I attach screenshot. 

How can I fix it?

Also, I would like to make a bibliography at the end of DOCX. I tried, but I only could make one citation as bibiography.

How can I make all citations in bibliography at the end of DOCX?

Thanks

Hard to trouble should without further information from you.  

Firstly, this looks like your library view and it does look like you may have copied and pasted a duplicate set of records. (Duplicates can be reviewed and removed using the References menu>“find duplicates” option in endnote)

It also looks as if your authors may be incorrectly entered perhaps all on one line?  

Ideally they should be entered.  

Djankov, S

La Porta, R

Lopez-de-Silanes, F

Shleifer, A

Have you viewed any of the endnote youtube training videos (if this page faults, click on the “home” link)

How are you inserting the citations into your text? Ctrl+C (in endnote) and  then ctrl+V in the word document? or maybe the " on the endnote toolbar?)

What journal is the manuscript going to be submitted to?  What output style are you using?  

Are they being autoformatted (endnote toolbar/ribbon in word)?

Thanks for your reply. I deleted duplicated citations, thanks.

How are you inserting the citations into your text? Ctrl+C (in endnote) and  then ctrl+V in the word document? or maybe the " on the endnote toolbar?)

I am inserting citations into my word DOCX Ctrl+C and ctrl+V. But then I have to change the font, and size, and the re-edit the link because the hyperlink does not come up if I paste directly from endnote.

What journal is the manuscript going to be submitted to?  What output style are you using?  

I am writing research proposal for law schools. I am using bluebook style. But it is a problem for me that some citation in blue book style does not appear “URL,” I believe, it should be indicated, so I change my citation to bluebook style, and manually add the URLs. I don’t know if this is a permissive bluebook style. The problem is I don’t know which kind of categorization I should choose. Many are online magazine, or newspapers, which are accessible both online offline. I don’t know how to categorize them, but if I choose, some types do not show URL.

Are they being autoformatted (endnote toolbar/ribbon in word)?

I don’t know how to autoformat. I am not familiar with functions of endnote, but I want to learn.

I want to make a bibliography at the end of document. How can I do that?

Thanks

You need to learn the basics.  Is the endnote ribbon visible in word? 

give me a screen shot of your word window (all of it).  You can’t edit to add the URLs or they will be erased the next time the bibliography is updated.  

seems that pasted urls are incorrectly converted sometimes, so here is the link to the training page.  fixed similarly in message below.

Hi,

I watched the video, I think it is not possible for me to use Webof Science because I am not belong to any institution.

I don’t have Endnote menu in my Word, but I have a menu at the top. I attach the screenshot.

I made a bluebook style of citation and if I choose some form for the documents, the URL is gone. But I think URL is important so I manually add it at the footnote.

Do you know how I can make the footnote using endnote? I mean, is there any way I can just place the cursor, and put “insert citation” button, and the footnote is created at the end of the page?

Also, I would like to ask whether I can authomatically save the PDF files into Endnote folder, not any other places in my MAC.

Thanks

To insert a citation into a footnote, you need to create the footnote first, in word and then insert the endnote citation into the footnote itself.  If there is a URL in the footnote template (there should be one for each reference type in your output style) and includes the URL field and the record includes a URL in that field, it should appear automatically.  You mentioned before that you aren’t getting a bibliography, and the generation of a bibliography is also a setting in the output style (and needs a corresponding template for each ref type).  Can you attach your output style (it will be an .ens file saved on your hard drive somewhere – not sure where on a Mac).  

Dear. Mentor,

I don’t know what output style you mean. I use MS word Time New Roman, 12 size. 

I found how to insert footnote citation. I make footnote, and in the empty space, I go to Endnote, and find my citation, and then click “insert citation.” It works very well.

However, at the end of the DOCX, I found the citations are automatically produced. That I don’t want to, because I want to make the bibliography according to the types of citations, not just the list of all the citations in the footnotes.

I attach the screenshot. It appears at the end of the document DOCX and it increases as my footnote from Endnote increases. Can you help?

To use endnote you have to pick an Endnote output style on the endnote ribbon or toolbar.  You need to review how to use Endnote with Word tutorials. (get past all the building the library stuff, - it doesn’t matter about those at this point). 

Maybe try this one which talks first about picking the appropriate endnote style?  www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1jG52m9ArA  

I can’t teach you how to use endnote and word in a forum conversation.  

I am assuming that you also want to catagorize your references at the end.  I don’t use the categorization features of endnote.  I copied the attached from the endnote help file in X8 for windows.  

Configure Categories Dialog (Microsoft Word)
This feature allows you to add subject categories to your Microsoft Word documents that are associated with specific
reference types. When EndNote creates the bibliography in Word, it organizes your citations based on the category and
the associated reference type.
The left panel consists of two sections: References and Uncategorized References
All References in Bibliography: This section displays all the references that you have cited in your paper. The following
fields appear at the top of the right panel for each reference.
? Author
? Year
? Title (of publication)
? Reference Type
? Category (name of the category that you defined under the Category Headings section)
The panel below this section displays detailed information about the reference. For example, Reference Type, Author,
Year, Title, and more.
Uncategorized References: This section displays each citation that has not been assigned to a category. Use the dragand-
drop method to assign an unassigned citation to a category.
Category Headings
This section displays all the categories that you have defined for this particular paper. You create categories by clicking
the Category Headings (+) button to display a blank text field. Enter a unique name to identify each category. For
example:
Category Headings

• Journals
  • Books
  • Conference Proceedings
    Creating Bibliography Categories in Microsoft Word
    You can create your bibliography categories when you first begin writing a paper or at anytime during a writing project.
  1. Open your Microsoft Word document.
  2. Select the EndNote X7 tab.
  3. Select the Categorize References from the EndNote ribbon to open the Configure Categories dialog.
  4. Create your categories by clicking the Category Headings (+) button to display a blank text field below the
    Category Headings section.
  5. Enter a unique category name. For example, enter Journals as a category if you want all your cited journal articles to
    appear under this category.
  6. Continue creating categories. For example, create one for Books, Conference Proceedings, Electronic Media, and
    other reference types.
  7. Using the drag-and-drop method, drag a specific reference to the appropriate category under the Category
    Headings section.
  8. Continue this process until all references are assigned a particular category.
  9. Check the “Not Yet Assigned to a Category” section to ensure that all references have been assigned to a
    category.
    EndNote creates a bibliography and inserts the selected references under the appropriate categories based on the
    reference type. At this point, you can modify and edit the bibliography. For example, you can rename a category, delete a
    category, move a category, or move references (using drag-and-drop) from one category to another.
    Important Points About Categories and Reference Types
    ? Organize categories based on how you want the categories to appear in the bibliography in Word.
    ? Enter a unique name to identify each category that you want to create in the current document.
    ? Use the drag-and-drop one or more reference types from the All References list to the appropriate bibliography
    category.
    ? Go to the “Not Yet Assigned to a Category” section to see if any references have not been assigned to a category.
    ? If you delete a reference from a particular category, the reference is only removed from the category. The citation
    remains in your document and the reference goes back to the Uncategorized References section.
    ? EndNote maintains all references in the All References list. You may move a reference to any predefined
    category.