EndNote and Word now ready to separate

We are using Endnote X7.7.1 and MS Word 2016. We have been working on a long document with secion breaks and chapters done as separate documents. Although some editing of the body of the document still is needed, the references and citations are done.

How do we break the link between Endnote and Word while retaining the citation and reference formatting in the Word document, but stopping anymore input from Endnote?

Thank you.

You can use the following steps from our Knowledge Base:

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/article/EndNote-Using-Convert-to-Plain-Text-or-Remove-Field-Codes-removes-document-formatting?language=en_US

All changes that are manually typed in will be lost the next time EndNote updates the citations and bibliography to conform to the currently selected output style.

If you wish to edit an in-text citation do the following:

Right-Click on the item and choose “Edit Citation” from the popup menu. Alternatively, you can get to Edit Citation using the following method:

Word 2016/2013/2010/2007 with EndNote X4 and later: Go to the EndNote tab and choose “Edit & Manage Citation(s).”

Word 2016 Mac with EndNote X7 and later: Go to the EndNote tab and choose “Edit & Manage Citation(s).”

Word 2007 With EndNote X1 and later: Go to the EndNote tab and choose “Edit Citation(s).”

Word 2003/2004/2008/2011 with EndNote X4 and later: Go to the “Tools” Menu and choose “EndNote > Edit & Manage Citation(s).”

Word 2007 with EndNote X and earlier: Go to the Add-Ins tab and choose “EndNote > Edit Citation.”

Word X/2000/2002 (XP)/2003/2004/2008: Go to the “Tools” Menu and choose “EndNote > Edit Citation.”

Here you can enter a prefix, a suffix, or exclude the author or year. If you are entering a prefix or suffix, you’ll want to include any spaces or punctuation, as EndNote will display whatever is entered in these boxes. If you are trying to add page numbers, you’ll want to use the Suffix field in most cases. Click here for more information.

For footnoted citations (citations that are inserted into the footnote section in Word), the “Edit Citation” command can be used only to add page numbers. The prefix, suffix, exclude author, and exclude year options do not work for footnoted citations.

To edit how references are formatted in the bibliography, you must modify the output style you are using. For more information on modifying output styles, please refer to the chapter called “Bibliographic Styles” in the EndNote manual.

Remove EndNote Encoding:

If the kind of edits you need to make are not possible by using the “Edit Citations” command or modifying the output style, then you may want to remove the field codes. In doing so, the citations and the bibliography will become plain text that you can edit without problems. This step should be taken when you are done working with EndNote in the document, as removing the field codes removes the link between EndNote and Word, and adding or removing any citations after removing the field codes will not update your bibliography. Make a backup of the document to be safe, then do the following:

Word 2007 With EndNote X1 and later or Word 2013/2010/2013/2016 and EndNote X4 and later: Go to the EndNote tab and choose “Convert Citations and Bibliography > Convert to Plain Text.”

Word 2016 Mac with EndNote X7**  and later **: Go to the EndNote tab and choose “Tools > Convert to Plain Text.”

Word 2007 with EndNote X and earlier: Go to the Add-Ins tab and choose “EndNote > Remove Field Codes.”

Word X/2000/2002 (XP)/2003/2004/2008/2011: Go to the “Tools” Menu and choose “EndNote > Convert to Plain Text or Remove Field Codes.”

Once this is done, your citations and bibliography will be regular text in Word, and you will be able to make any manual edits.

Thank you for your quick reply.

We love EndNote and the citations and the references and how it all works so well with MS Word. But now we are done adding references and citations and want to NOT have EndNote do anymore updating. Our previous supervisor, who had used EndNote a lot and was the one who got us to use it, said there was some way to finalize a document or break the link with EndNote so the references and citations, which are still formated according to the EndNote style we use, no longer can be changed. Does this sound familiar at all?

Sincerely,

Kitty

Yes and the above steps will help or you can use the following steps instead.

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/article/EndNote-Using-Convert-to-Plain-Text-or-Remove-Field-Codes-removes-document-formatting?language=en_US

The “Convert to Plain Text” or “Remove Field Codes” command creates a new copy of the document, since this operation cannot be undone. With EndNote X and earlier , EndNote did not copy the Styles and Headings associated with the document, because these are kept in the template (like Normal.dot) and not in the document itself. Divorced from the template, the document styles appear to be removed. Note this issue was resolved in EndNote X1 or later.

It is possible to remove field codes manually if “Convert to Plain Text” or “Remove Field Codes” is not working for you.

Note : Removal of the field codes, either by the EndNote tool or the manual process described below, will permanently break the “link” between EndNote and the current copy of the paper. If after removing field codes you need to further edit your references using your EndNote program, you will need to return to an original copy of your paper with the field codes intact.

In Windows:

1. Make a backup of your document.
  2. Press [Ctrl]+A on the keyboard to highlight everything.
  3. Press [Ctrl]+6 (above the “T” and “Y” key) to remove any additional hidden field codes.
  4. Press [Ctrl]+C to copy the highlighted text.
  5. Open a new document and press [Ctrl]+V to paste.

In OS X:

1. Make a backup of your document.
  2. Press [Apple]+A or [Command]+A on the keyboard to highlight everything.
  3. Press [Apple]+6 or [Command]+6 (above the “T” and “Y” key) to remove any additional hidden field codes.
  4. Press [Apple]+C or [Command]+C to copy the highlighted text.
  5. Open a new document and press [Apple]+V or [Command]+V to paste.

Thank you for the information, Tony.

I don’t think this is the solution we are looking for. We want the paper to retain it’s formatting and look like a finished product. We have hundreds of citations and references and do not want to edit anything by hand. We only want the paper to not be modified by EndNote anymore when someone opens it on the computer. We do not want the citations or references to update or change. I’m sure it is probably a simple command. I just have to find it.

Sincerely,

Kitty P. Petersen, MLS

State of Alaska

Department of Natural Resources

Division of Oil and Gas

The above are the steps to have the citations be frozen as is and not be connected to EndNote.

Thank you Tony.

I worked with a sample document and see how it all works, as you said.

Sincerely,

Kitty

Hi Tony - I hvae used endnote for years, and am well familliar with how to convert to plain text, but try as I might, I am not able to get my reference list to convert to plain text.  I am using Chicago 15A with endnotes and Word 2016.  The endnotes are now plain text, but the reference list that they generated is still hyperlinked.  Any suggestions?

You could try turning off the hyperlinking before you convert to plain text in the bibliography dialog (see image), but I just tested it.  I don’t see a an endnote from Chicago “hyperlinked” in the first place.  I do see that the footnote or endnote mark itself is linked to the footnote/endnote (a feature of word), but I don’t see a hyperlink to the bibliography?  At least in Windows EndnoteX8.2, there is no hyperlinking from footnotes that I can see, whether it is on or off in the bibliography menu.  and using the convert to plain text - does do that (leaving the footnote links in place).  

As an alternative (as mentioned by the moderator below), 

You could try selecting all the text and using word’s commands to remove all fields (which will remove any field links including tables of contents).  But you need to do it twice.  Once in the endnotes and once on the whole text of the document.  

In windows word:  crt+A (Select all), control-shift-F9. (or Ctrl+6)

On a Mac 

Command-A (select all the text in the doc).
Command-Shift-F9 (changes all the field codes to text of just the results).

_Or _on a Mac:

Command-A (select all the text in the doc).
Command-6 (changes all the field codes to text of just the results).