Endnote X2 Vista installation, toolbar missing, regsvr32 nightmares

I’m posting this to spare any other users who have gone through the dreadful process that happened to me when installing Endnote X2 (site license version) onto my Vista Home machine w/Office 2007.  Unfortunately, the update that’s on the Endnote website is NOT for site license users, and I’ve not heard a definitive release date on when the site license update will become available when I called Thomson-Reuters help.

I never got any errors during installation, but could not get the Endnote toolbar to appear.  I tried to repair and even uninstall and reinstall both Word 2007 and Endnote X2.  I also tried to use the regsvr32 command that was posted on one of the FAQs on the Endnote help website.  Nothing was working.  Somehow, I was even getting weird error messages when re-attempting to use regsvr32: “0x80070005.”  I tried calling Thomson-Reuters several times.  They recommended the regsvr32 fix, reinstalling, attempting to install the demo software off their website…all to NO avail.

Finally, after piecing together several recommendations, I recommend the following solution if anyone else comes across the same problem.  However, it’s hard for me to definitely say which (if not all) of the steps I did made a difference.

1. Uninstall any version of endnote you have installed.

2. Open regedit, BACKUP then delete any keys that reference endnote.

3. Open Word 2007, go to Word Options, Add-ins.  Individually select and open up each of the items from the drop down menu and click Go.  Remove/disable ANY references to Endnote or cite while you write.

4. If you had ever encountered the 0x80070005 (access denied) error when attempting to use the regsvr32 fix on the Thomson-Reuters website, you have a registry permissions problem.  I have no idea why Vista sometimes has this.  What I ended up doing was going to regedit and right clicking individually on the major keys (e.g., HKLM), making sure my administrator account had full privileges (of course making sure to backup the registry before making any changes!).

5. Reinstall endnote BUT USE THE CUSTOM INSTALLATION AND SPECIFY A DIRECTORY THAT IS NOT UNDER PROGRAM FILES!  I installed on c:\endnote x2

6. See if endnote now works (hopefully does).