Endnote keeps disappearing from the Word 2016 toolbar

Whenever I open a Word Document (2016), the Endnote doesnot appear on the toolbar. 

When I go to File > Option > Add-ins, the “Endnote Cite While you Write” add-ins appears in the inactive Application Add-ins (As in image 1). There is nothing in the disabled add-ins (Image 2). I can fix it by going through Manage > COM Add-ins > Go where "Endnote Cite While you Write is always unselected (Image 3). When I select it it appears on the toolbar. But when I close the Word document and reopen the Endnote disappears again. 

Has anyone came across with similar issue? 

Please try the following steps:

Quit Word, Outlook and EndNote first.

Go to the following location folder based on your Word program and right click on “WINWORD.exe” and select “Run as Administrator.”

Word 2016: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\
For Office 365 (Word 2016), the folder will be: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\
Word 2013: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\
Word 2010: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\
Word 2007: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\

Note: If Microsoft Office is not listed under “Program Files (x86),” look under just “Program Files.”
Go to the File Menu and choose “Options.”
Select “Add-Ins” from the list at the left.
At the bottom of the Add-Ins page, there is a “Manage:” dropdown list. Leave this on “COM Add-ins” and select Go.
On the COM Add-Ins page, Select the EndNote item and click the “Remove” button.
Next choose the “Add” button.
Browse to the following location and select the “EndNote CWYW.dll” file:  
EndNote X9: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ResearchSoft\Cwyw\19\
EndNote X8: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ResearchSoft\Cwyw\18\
EndNote X7: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ResearchSoft\Cwyw\17\

Note: If you have common files installed in a different location, you would need to find this CWYW folder in that other location.

Once you have Selected the “EndNote CWYW.dll” file, choose OK and OK again to close the COM Add-ins screen. The EndNote tools should now be in Word.

You would then Quit Word and reopen it normally to see if the EndNote tab appears automatically.

If this does not resolve the issue:

Please contact Technical Support directly
1-800-336-4474 option 4 then 1 or
https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/technicalsupport?language=en_US

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your help. It solved my problem. 

I had followed the first set of steps before (found somewhere in the internet) but did not follow the the removing and adding Endnote CWYW.dll add-ins. I did this time after your advice and now it is working fine. Thank you for spending your time to help me. 

Kind regards,

Arjun

I am glad to hear the issue is resolved.

I tried this solution as well and can confirm that it worked.

But I can add that I had to give the local user administrator rights and do these steps with the account that was logged in. It dit not work when I authorized my self with my domain admin account.

/Per Persson

I tried this solution but still does not work  when Word is opened from a user different from administrator.

I confirm that Endnote appears in Word 2016 toolbar when opened as administrator, but only there.

I would like to have a solution to that problem.

Many thanks!

Fabienne