Endnote x6 - can one update a single intext reference one at a time?

Hi there, I’m new to this community :slight_smile:

I’ve been using Endnote x6 for my referencing. It’s a great software except for one thing. As one’s word doc grows in length and size, and when one ‘updates citations and bibliography’, Endnote appears to go through the entire word doc to check every single intext reference! As you can imagine when the documents is about 100 pages or more this updating can be time-consuming. Perhaps I’m impatient by nature but can Endnote update a single intext reference one at a time e.g. a sentence that I want to add more references into an existing intext reference that already there, without going through the whole word doc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Alfred

Turn off CWYW (instant formatting is off)  and manually update when you wish (Update Citations and Bibliography).  

As an alternative – you can also stop the program from inserting the hyperlink to the reference list, which speeds up the process.  This is a checkbox in the Format Bibliography (EndNoteX7 Configure Bibliography) menu (untick "Link in-text citations to references…).

See these options in the view from Word 2013 in attachment.  They may be in a different location in other versions of Word.