Export Groups to Excel

Dear all

Is there a way to add “custom and smart groups” as a field to my excel export output style? I know I can right click a reference, ask for record summary and then copy the text to the clipboard. However, I have over 10’000 references and would like to export them all at once without having to click every one of them. 

Thank you for your help!

Martina

No, the best you could do is select each group, then globally edit the records of each group to include an indicator that the record is a member of that group using the  Change/Move/Copy tool.  

You can globally add the Group name to the references in the group this would be the best workaround to allow the group name to be exported.

You can use the Change Text tool in EndNote to change any group of showing references. Using this tool, you will be able to add the name of the group to any unused field in your references.

As you are making a large change to your database, make sure to back up the library before continuing.

Since EndNote makes these changes to every reference in the current view, you will want to choose the group you want to add the text to first so only the references for that group are selected. Then please do the following:

1. In EndNote, go to Tools then Change and Move fields.
  2. For the field labeled In:, select the unused or custom field you want to use for the group designation.
  3. Under Change, choose “Insert before fields text”.
  4. Check “Include a space after inserted text.”
  5. In the field on the right, type the name of the group.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Repeat for each group.

This should add the group name in the field you’ve chosen. You would then get this information exported to Excel.

See our website for these steps:

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/article/EndNote-Add-the-group-name-in-references-to-sort?language=en_US

Is there a way to do this without going into each group, I have 9509 references in 4136 groups (smartgroups, standard groups and groups on groups) in 125 group sets.  I would prefer not to have to open each group in order to do this.

The other problem is that I use most, if not all the extra fields.

I should note that the result I am looking for is to actually generate a report from EndNote instead of having to export to excel or copy the group numbers to excel in order to do this.

Scenario:

• group1 is a search that shows 165 results
  • group2 is a search that shows 259 results
  • group3 shows 178 results

I want to generate a report that says

Group 1 - 165

Group 2 - 259

Group 3 - 178

Since the numbers constantly change, I would rather generate the report from EndNote than take the chance of making a mistake while transposing the numbers to excel.

Hello Thomas,

Instead of exporting to Excel you could use the Subject Bibliography command to produce a type of Report but in order to get the accurate count you still will need to add the group name to a field.

You would then able to run the Subject Bibliography command on that field.

You can find out more about the Subject Bibliography feature on our website:

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/article/EndNote-Creating-Stand-Alone-Bibliographies?language=en_US

1 Like

An interesting idea - which I am not sure I can even test.  I use almost all fields already, would the group name have to be by itself in the field, or could I add it to the notes field?  Also, it is good on the surface, but it does mean adding the group name of over 4000 groups.  Most of my publications are in more than one group, so I am not sure how this would work without a lot of testing.

I have done a little testing

I added some group names to the Notes field with a carriage return before and after each

I tried running the bibliography report

The result is not what I had hoped.  I do get a group name with a number, but the publications are listed under each group, I don’t want to list any publications in this type of report

Result

<groupname> (number in group)

each publication

each publication

each publication

each publication

each publication

each publication

each publication

each publication

each publication

each publication

each publication

each publication

What I would like

<groupname> <groupname> <groupname>
numberingroup numberingroup numberingroup

Is that possible? Basically can I suppress the publications from printing, and further can I change it from vertical to horizontal?

By editing the output style I can get the output to look like this:

2013 collab    (419)

2013 collab 02 - all    (60)

2013 collab 02 - inter    (9)

2013 collab 03 - all    (75)

2013 collab 03 - inter    (14)

2013 collab 03 - intra    (8)

2013 collab 05 - all    (150)

2013 collab 05 - inter    (34)

2013 collab 05 - intra    (19)

2013 collab 06 - all    (125)

2013 collab 06 - inter    (22)

2013 collab 06 - intra    (19)

2013 collab 07 - all    (67)

2013 collab 07 - inter    (14)

2013 collab 07 - intra    (3)

2018 collab 02 - inter    (6)

2018 coolab 02 - intra    (4)

But I haven’t figured out a way to get it going horizontal yet.

So once you run the Subject Bibliography you can go to Layout then Terms then select Subject Terms Only and it would list the items with the counts.

1 Like

any way to change it so it goes horizontally? 

Also I have only put 10 out of nearly 4000 group names in the Research notes field, is there any way to get endnote to do this for me?

You can use the steps above for any field to add a term or word to a field for more than one reference at once but you still would need to do it one group at a time to get the right term or word linked to the correct set of references.

See

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/article/EndNote-Add-the-group-name-in-references-to-sort?language=en_US

In step 2 you would just be selecting the Research Notes field.

I do not see a way to get the data in any other format but you can save tor RTF or TXT then open it in Word to further manipulate the information.

Thanks - although not an answer - it is probably the closest I’ll get.

Just an update / FYI

The “workaround” to get group numbers reported is what was suggested previously

1. copy the group name, every group name you are interested in, into a unused field.  Although it can be done in a field like Notes, copying into an unused field  - which you will use only for group names - is a lot easier

2. To do this copy
    1. select EACH group one at a time
    2. select a publication in that group
    3. click the tools menu
    4. select “Change/Move?Copy fields …”
    5. Select the field you are using (I used Research Notes)
    6. Leave “Insert after field’s text:” clicked
    7. uncheck “Include a space before new text”
    8. Type the name of the group into the box
    9. click “Insert Special”
    10. select “Carriage retrun”
    11. click okay twice
    12. Click okay when it has finshed
    13. REPEAT steps 1-12 for EACH group (a problem when you have over 4000 groups like I do!)

3. Select the tools menu

4. select Subject Bibliography

5. Select the field you are using for group names (I selected Research Notes)

6. CHECK THE BOX “in other fields, list each entry that is separated by slash, carriage return or line feed. …” (so don’t use those characters in your group names)

7. Click okay

8. You can select all or just the groups you are interested in in the resulting box

9. Click on Layout …

10. Click on the Terms tab

11. Select “Subject Terms Only” (remember to turn this off later or you won’t see your references)

12. Now each group name you selected will appear with the number of publications in that group like below

2013 collab (419)

2013 collab 02 - all (60)

2013 collab 02 - inter (9)

2013 collab 02 - inter_intra (6)

I originally named one group 02 - inter/intra, it didn’t show up at all until I renamed it using the underline.  This is, unfortunately, in my opinion, not formatted like a table, but it is better than making a transposition error (been there, done that).  Be aware that older publications used the Research Notes field, so when I first did this I saw some pretty strange listings - it helped me clean up my data a little bit.

Hope this helps!:smiley: