Formatting in-text citation brackets (paranthesis)

@leanne wrote:

make sure there are no spaces between the groups.  Best to unformat to temporary citations then find and replace any } { (with a space between them) to }{ (with no space between them). Of course most spaces are invisible, so you need to know how many there are.  

hi when i update citations and biblography in word , i face to copy of in-text citation like this: (Rogers, 2003)(Rogers 2003)(Rogers, 2003)(Rogers, 2003)(Rogers, 2003)(Rogers, 2003)

working with X4 and word 2007 what should i do to handel this? regards

I think you have a corruption.  

Couple threads you might read>But see here and here and the more detailed FAQon how to clean up field codes. 

dear Leanne

tnx for your response

but i have still problem

(Xu, Benbasat, & Cenfetelli)(Xu, Benbasat, & Cenfetelli)(Xu, Benbasat et al.)(Xu et al.)(Xu et al.)(Xu et al.)(Xu et al.).

what shoul ido if my file is corrupted,but in others file when i update citatiiona s and biblography i face to this problem

i dont have problen in biblography, i have problem with in-text citations

mybe i change my style many times , after that i update citation i face with this problem.

tnx

The corruption is in the fields/citations not usually in the bibliography.  Did you run thru the steps in the FAQ I recommended? 

http://endnote.com/kb/81143

1 Like

i run the steps of FAQ but it remains

{Angelakopoulos, 2011 #15}(Angelakopoulos & Mihiotis, 2011)(Angelakopoulos & Mihiotis, 2011)(Angelakopoulos and Mihiotis 2011)(Angelakopoulos & Mihiotis, 2011)(Angelakopoulos & Mihiotis, 2011)(Angelakopoulos & Mihiotis, 2011)(Angelakopoulos & Mihiotis, 2011). what should i do to delete the additional citations, should i do it manual, or i have other choices?

Hi,

I have a question. I have just downloaded Endotes X7. I am using CWYW with Chicago 16th A output style. I can enter the unformatted references into my document. The problem is that when I go to Endnotes and select ‘Update Citations & Bibliography’ or ‘Configure Bibliography’ the unformatted references simply disappears from the document.

Can anyone please advise me how to rectify this problem - or what I am doing wrong? Thanks, Jo

You are using an output style that has no “citation” template.  This is often the case if it is a “footnote” output style. This is the case with the output style you are using.  It is intended to be used only in footnotes; that is to use the word processor to insert a footnote and to insert the citation into the footnote.   If this is the required format for your publication destination, you need to convert your citations to footnotes.  I think there is a macro, or Endnote’s tech support might be able to help in the conversion.  Otherwise, try switching to an Author, Date or numbered format.  

I’m having the opposite problem. I’m using Chicago 16th Author-Date which requires that in text citations be in the format of (Brown 2003) but it is displaying as Brown (2003).

I followed the instructions given here to locate the citation template for Chicago 16th Author-Date and found it shows two formats. The first is titled Citation and looks like (Author Year|, Cited Pages|). The second is titled Citation - Author (Year) and looks like Author (Year|, Cited Pages|).

For some reason, the first option is not showing up on the drop-down menu in CWYW when I insert a reference. I tried deleting the Citation-Author (Year) from the template but EndNote continues to use that format as the default.

A couple weeks ago I wrote a paper using Chicago Author-Date and the default option in the drop down menu was (Author Year) not Author (Year), so I’m not sure what has happened.

Can you take some screen shots and can you attach them, and can you attach the actual output style you are currently using if it is altered?   

In the drop down, the “default” should be (Author, Year) format.  It doesn’t show it though, just default.  – it shows Author (year) as the second option?  I see you can’t easily “snip” that option in Word - it disappears as soon as you click on the other program, unless you Ctrl+Prnt Screen.  

By the way, if there is more than one citation, cited, – it greys out the options because Author (year) can only be applied to one in text citation, not to a group.  

I am trying to enter a single citation, not a group citation. The problem is that the (Author Year) option does not appear, only Author (Year).

I’m attaching 2 screen shots of the problem.

Problem solved.  If I click Insert instead of choosing one of the options from the drop down box, it gives me the correct format (Author Year).

Thanks!

Great – yes that is the “default” option. 

Great – yes that should be the “default” option. I couldn’t view the images - they were too fuzzy and small. 

Hi. Actually, it is another question. I am writing a paper and it is happening something weird. For example: the first time I mention a paper it is perfect (Rosa et ., 2016). But the second time the citation changes for Rosa, Borstad, 2016. The references are not duplicate at the end of the paper. But, they are changing inside the text. Could you help me? have you ever seen it?

Thanks,

Dayana

duplicate question- see http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/Advantages-of-combining-different-references-in-the-one-citation/m-p/133204#M25922

I downloaded Endotes X7 and using CWYW with output style Chicago 16th A. Successful in entering the unformatted references into my document. Then I go to Endnotes, and select ‘Update Citations & Bibliography’ or ‘Configure Bibliography’ then I see unformatted references disappear from the document. 

Is this similar to what you are seeing?

Hello,

I want to resolve following situation:

Major classes of olfactory system molecules, which control insect behaviour include odorant-binding proteins (OBPs; (Pelosi et al., 2006; Vogt, 2003; Vogt and Riddiford, 1981; Zhou, 2010), odour receptors ….

where I need to take out teh paraanthesis jut before “Pelosi…”.
As there will be more work on citations, I want to keep CWYW  ON

Who can heltp whats step sto undertake to succeed with this ?
Many thanks !!!

If this is what you need:

(OBPs; Pelosi et al., 2006; Vogt, 2003; Vogt and Riddiford, 1981; Zhou, 2010)

You can click on the citation, go to Edit and Manage Citations, and put the text (OBPs; ) in the Prefix field (remember a space after the semicolon). This will put the text before the citations within the parenthesis.

Best wishes

Jan Ove

Thank you for  your reply and your time…