Formatting in-text citation brackets (paranthesis)

Thank you so much for both the quick response and easy to follow instructions!

Hello

Thank you, very useful and easy description. Can I add one more question?By any chance are there any way to have two template at the same time? Or any way to have a formatting like this?

According to Tavallali(2010) the most widely used AI optimization tool used in this context, is Genetic Algorithm. However, as tabu search has fewer adjustable parameters, its performance is more effective than GA or simulated annealing (SA) ( Grossmann and Biegler, 2004).

At/in the beginning/middle of sentence AUTHOR**(YEAR)** and at the end (AUTHOR, YEAR)? Thank you for your help.

Not possible, without manually editing of each one of one or the other of your required citation forms in the manuscript.  I really don’t see how Endnote could be expected to notice where the reference is in a sentence structure…  It would require the intelligent intervention of the author, in any case… even if the edit citation had additional options.  

Furthermore, if sometimes you want the (author, year) for two or more references, you should stick to a style that outputs automatically in that format and edit the Author (Year) ones manually.

The easiest way to streamline the process, is to work with CWYW off; then, you can drag the author out of the parentheses.  You can even do that from a formated reference, although you would also  still need to go in and edit the citation to hide author in the citation itself , or it will “reappear” there .  This is what I do, on the very rare occasions where I want to construct a sentence with the authors name in the text and am worried I can’t spell the authors name correctly.

Finally, you could try editing the style so that there were no parentheses.  Then when you want Author (Year) you insert the ref twice, the first one hide the year, the second one put inside typed parentheses and hide the author.  when you want (Author, Year) insert the ref once and put the citation(s) in parentheses separated by colons.   

But me, I just really try very hard never to use the Author (Year) format. It isn’t that hard in the sciences, where the majority of papers are produced by a team, and it is hard to correctly attribute the work to just one or two of the authors anyway!

Thank you for  your reply and your time…

@leanne wrote:

…

The easiest way to streamline the process, is to work with CWYW off; then, you can drag the author out of the parentheses.  You can even do that from a formated reference, although you would also  still need to go in and edit the citation to hide author in the citation itself , or it will “reappear” there .   

Thank you Leanne, I am longing for the answer, and it is very practical in the way you suggested:

1. Insert citation like (ABC, 1990),

2. then draw the author out, like ABC(1990),

3. the system will ajust citation to become: ABC(ABC, 1990).

4. Right Click on the parenthesis, Edit citation–> exclude author.

Benefit: this practice can make sure the citation is consistend and auto-adjustable for three and more author. Since the author is generated automatically, if there is three and above authors, it will appear ABC et. al. at the 2nd time wecite it, and all we should do is to draw it out without editing the format of author.

I used the procedures that you suggested, it worked great when I’m inserting one citation. But it goes messy when I try to insert two or more citation at once. For example, I want John (1999, 2000), not John(1999; John 2000). I’m using EndNote X2.

You have to edit both citations to omit author.

thx

@leanne wrote:

I really don’t see how Endnote could be expected to notice where the reference is in a sentence structure… 

Sure, but Endnote could have an option of using a different citation format for individual references, i.e. a manual override option.  I would find this very helpful because I use a good mix of the two in-text formats the original poster mentioned.

And it has been implemented in Endnote X5. You can now choose between Author (Year) and (Author, Year) on a citation by citation basis. The work-around I suggested to the user in previous messages, was because they were still using an older version. The extracted statement below was also before the most recent version of Endnote implemented the new feature. (and I am not with Endnote, I am a user like you).

I like your answer but it is not working. I’m still having the comma when I exclude the author from the citation.

Any idea how to overcome the problem?

Thanks

Sorry I was talking to Usufma

Attach your style to a reply, so we can see if there is something in it, making this happen. 

hi 

when i update citations and biblography in word , i face to copy of in-text citation like this:

(Delone and McLean 2003; Roca, Chiu et al. 2006; Teo, Srivastava et al. 2008)(Delone & McLean, 2003; Roca, et al., 2006; Teo, et al., 2008) (Delone and McLean 2003; Roca, Chiu et al. 2006; Teo, Srivastava et al. 2008)(Delone & McLean, 2003; Roca, et al., 2006; Teo, et al., 2008)

working with X4 and word 2007

what should i do to handel this?

regards

make sure there are no spaces between the groups.  Best to unformat to temporary citations then find and replace any } { (with a space between them) to }{ (with no space between them). Of course most spaces are invisible, so you need to know how many there are.  

@leanne wrote:

make sure there are no spaces between the groups.  Best to unformat to temporary citations then find and replace any } { (with a space between them) to }{ (with no space between them). Of course most spaces are invisible, so you need to know how many there are.  

hi when i update citations and biblography in word , i face to copy of in-text citation like this: (Rogers, 2003)(Rogers 2003)(Rogers, 2003)(Rogers, 2003)(Rogers, 2003)(Rogers, 2003)

working with X4 and word 2007 what should i do to handel this? regards

I think you have a corruption.  

Couple threads you might read>But see here and here and the more detailed FAQon how to clean up field codes. 

dear Leanne

tnx for your response

but i have still problem

(Xu, Benbasat, & Cenfetelli)(Xu, Benbasat, & Cenfetelli)(Xu, Benbasat et al.)(Xu et al.)(Xu et al.)(Xu et al.)(Xu et al.).

what shoul ido if my file is corrupted,but in others file when i update citatiiona s and biblography i face to this problem

i dont have problen in biblography, i have problem with in-text citations

mybe i change my style many times , after that i update citation i face with this problem.

tnx

The corruption is in the fields/citations not usually in the bibliography.  Did you run thru the steps in the FAQ I recommended? 

http://endnote.com/kb/81143

1 Like

i run the steps of FAQ but it remains

{Angelakopoulos, 2011 #15}(Angelakopoulos & Mihiotis, 2011)(Angelakopoulos & Mihiotis, 2011)(Angelakopoulos and Mihiotis 2011)(Angelakopoulos & Mihiotis, 2011)(Angelakopoulos & Mihiotis, 2011)(Angelakopoulos & Mihiotis, 2011)(Angelakopoulos & Mihiotis, 2011). what should i do to delete the additional citations, should i do it manual, or i have other choices?