Getting a reference out of a Custom Group without Deleting the Reference

Having added reference(s) to a Custom Group in X2, how do I then move one or two out again while retaining the rest of the custom group, and also keeping the unwanted refs in the full library?  I seem to be having to make a whole new custom group and then move only the refs I want to it.  Or having to delete the offending refs altogether.  This seems inefficient.But maybe I’m missing something. Thanks. 

Highlite the entries from within the group folder not “all references” folder. If they are not contiguous, then use control click with the left mouse button. Right click to delete them from your group and find the “delete from group” command to do this in the right click (context menu). If you want them to be in another group, then highlite them in the same manner before removing them from the group you no longer want them in, and drag them to the new group with your mouse. Then you can always remove them from the first group using the method above. To remove them entirely from the library you must first go into the “all references” folder and delete them from there. You can’t remove them from the whole library from within a custom group, unless they’ve changed this in X2, which I doubt.

In EndNote X2 you have several options to move and delete references from a Custom Group or from the whole library (All References).

To move references out of a Custom Group - but not from the whole library:

• From within a Custom Group, select the reference(s) and choose “Clear” from the Edit menu - or hit the “Delete” key on your keyboard - you will see a prompt that notes that these records are being removed from the group but NOT your library

To move references out of a Custom Group AND from the whole library:

- From within a Custom Group, select the reference(s) and choose the “Move References to Trash” command from the right-click menu or from the References menu. They will be moved to the “Trash” - you will be asked to delete these completely when closing EndNote.

Jason Rollins, EndNote Product Development