Grouping references in MS word

Hello,

I am writing a book and in addition to an alphabetical bibliography at the end, I want to have the citations grouped by chapter in order of appearance. However, I use some citations in multiple chapters and am unable to add citations to multiple groups. I know you can do that in Endnote but there doesn’t seem to be a way to transfer those groups to MS word. Is there a way to add citations to multiple groups in Word?

Any help or advice would be most appreciated, thank you!

Best,

Tom

Just to clarify, when you say “citations” do you mean in-text citations? Or do you mean the bibliographic reference associated with the corresponding citation – in which case it seems you are requesting to generate: 1) a complete bibliography in alphabetical order; and 2) chapter bibliographies which are listed in order of appearance.

It’s possible to generate a bibliography at the end of each chapter (using Endnote and Word’s “section breaks”) which will list the entries by their in-text citation in order of appearance. This will require inserting section breaks sandwiching the bibliography at the end of the chapter, and modifying the Endnote output style to sort the bibliography by order of appearance. Since, however, Endnote can format only one bibliography at a time you will need to change the output style file to sort the bibliography entries in alphabetical order in order to generate the alphabetized list. Another method would be to generate an independent bibliography. Refer to the training videos “Independent Bibliography” and “Multiple Bibliographies”.

To manage the chapter references and the complete list of references it might be helpful to use Endnote’s “Group” function to create groups for each chapter and the aggregate list then add the references from the library to each respective group.

Thank you for the response! 

“Just to clarify, when you say “citations” do you mean in-text citations? Or do you mean the bibliographic reference associated with the corresponding citation – in which case it seems you are requesting to generate: 1) a complete bibliography in alphabetical order; and 2) chapter bibliographies which are listed in order of appearance.”

Yes I am referring to the bibliographic references, so I do want to generate an alphabetical bibliography and chapter bibliographies by order of appearance.

“It’s possible to generate a bibliography at the end of each chapter (using Endnote and Word’s “section breaks”) which will list the entries by their in-text citation in order of appearance”

Great! Is it possible to put the chapter bibliographies at the end of the document?

“To manage the chapter references and the complete list of references it might be helpful to use Endnote’s “Group” function to create groups for each chapter and the aggregate list then add the references from the library to each respective group.”

I have used the group function in endnote, but I can’t find a way to transfer those groups into my word document. There’s an option to “categorize references” but it doens’t give me access to the groups I created in endote.

I will jump in as to how I would address this.  Endnote has an option, but I guess it doesn’t achieve what you want though.  Under the “sections” um, section of the output style settings, it lets you create a bibliography for each section, and to continue numbering or disambiguation etc etc (see image) OR create a bibliography for each section and a complete bibliography at the end of the document, but I don’t think one can be numbered in order of appearance and the other alphabetical.  

Hence, if you stick with the section only option, after finishing up the manuscript and citations, you should gain a temporary group in the endnote program, which you can select and copy into a permanent group.  Then you can export the group into a new document (RTF format to maintain font info) with a different -alphabetically organized style and paste it at the end of your document.   

Not sure why you want the by appearance chapter bibliographies at the end of the document followed by the alpha version?   but you can make a running appearance bibliography and then still generate the alpha list as described above.  

Okay, this should work! Thanks a bunch!