Help: Vancouver citation style with multiple citations and prefix

Hey Community!

Sorry if this has already been asked, I have looked but found nothing.

I am writing in Word with cite as you write and am using a mmodified Vancouver citation style for a journal article.

References appear like this in the Text: “This has been said [1].” And it is going great.

Multiple citations are no problem: “This has been said [1,3,7-9].”

Same goes for prefixes: “This has been said [e.g. 1].”

BUT as soon as I combine both it is doing this really annoying thing: Instead of this: “This has been said [e.g. 6-9].” it is giving me this: “This has been said [e.g. 6, 7-9].” - and it is driving me up the walls and I have looked everywhere and I am desperate and I don’t know how to fix this!

Please, oh wise people, help a girl out!

Thanks!!

• Eva.

This appears to be a “feature”.  I don’t remember it happening before (but I rarely used prefixes on number citations, so I may have missed it). I suspect they are trying to document that the prefix only applies to the citation with which it is associated.  I can see no work around, other than hiding the citation group and typing it as you want to appear which of course is manual and one would need to make sure the appropriate numbering was maintained.    

1 Like

Aaaargh!

First: thanks Leanne, for taking the time to answer. 

This is really very annoying! I’ll try and find a manual solution although this is really not what I was hoping for when using Endnote… well…

Thanks again!

to be absolutely honest, the copy editors can fix these kind of things.  I personally would put another set of parentheses around it like this (e.g. [1-7]) and not use the prefix editing at all.