How does one change the sync library in Endnote X8?

I’ve just migrated to Endnot X8 on a Mac, and now I’m trying to sync my desktop account library to the online webversion. Everytime I enable synching, the library path that gets filled in under preferences is to a library that is no longer used, on a disk that doesn’t even exist anymore. How can I edit this field so that it uses my current desktop library as the active sync file. 

I can’t find where the preferences file for Endnote X8 is stored on macOS Sierra, 10.12.1.  Does anyone know how I can edit the line in preferences following: “Sync this Endnote Library,” to make it the new library of choice?

Thanks in Advance, 

Frustrated in Chiberia

I’ve the same problem!

I use Endnote X8 windows and Mac , but both versions does’nt allow the change of the shared library. I could’nt change the file name. Wether in Preferences no in file ->share…

greeting from Germany

Katrin

I have the same problem, running X8 on a Mac, Can’t change the Library, my ipad and online account are not recognising changes on the desktop.

any info would be appreciated!

Same question/problem!

The library path in the EndNote preferences’ “Sync this Endnote Library” text  box is not an editable field. Since only one library can be synced to the Endnote online library/account at a time, if you wish to change the Endnote library you’ll need to: 1) reset sync, and 2) specify the new library’s location which will then be displayed in the library path box.

Per tech support, instructions to reset sync include the following:

1. Before proceeding make a backup copy of the Endnote library. (Refer to the knowledge base article http://endnote.com/kb/82295 for instructions to backup the library.)
  2. Go to the Endnote toolbar and select Edit>Preferences>Sync. Disable all automatic syncing and then restart EndNote.
  3. Make sure the Trash is empty both in EndNote online as well as EndNote X7 desktop. For EndNote online, log into your EndNote online account http://my.endnote.com/. Delete all references and all groups from EndNote online, with the exception of any Shared Groups or ResearcherID Groups that you may have. To do so, login to your EndNote online and check the reference under All References group and click on Delete. You will need to delete the groups as well, because when you sync with EndNote desktop, the groups will sync with the desktop. To delete the groups, go to organize tab and click on Manage My Groups. Select the groups and delete it.
  4. In EndNote desktop, open the correct copy of the library. Go to the Endnote toolbar and select Edit> Preferences>Sync. Add the following to the end of your E-Mail Address in the Sync preferences:

#!resetLocalSync

Note that this is Case Sensitive – resetLocalSync not “resetlocalsync". For example, if your email address for EndNote online is yourname@gmail.com , change this to yourname** @gmail.com#!resetLocalSync**

The library path in the EndNote preferences is not an editable field. Since only one library can be synced to the Endnote online library/account at a time, if you wish to change the Endnote library you’ll need to: 1) reset sync, and 2) specify the new library’s location which will then be displayed in the library path box.

Tech support’s instructions to reset sync:

1. Before proceeding make a backup copy of the Endnote library. (Refer to the knowledge base article http://endnote.com/kb/82295 for instructions to backup the library.)
  2. Go to the Endnote toolbar and select Edit>Preferences>Sync. Disable all automatic syncing and then restart EndNote.
  3. Make sure the Trash is empty both in EndNote online as well as EndNote X7 desktop. For EndNote online, log into your EndNote online account http://my.endnote.com/. Delete all references and all groups from EndNote online, with the exception of any Shared Groups or ResearcherID Groups that you may have. To do so, login to your EndNote online and check the reference under All References group and click on Delete. You will need to delete the groups as well, because when you sync with EndNote desktop, the groups will sync with the desktop. To delete the groups, go to organize tab and click on Manage My Groups. Select the groups and delete it.
  4. In EndNote desktop, open the correct copy of the library. Go to the Endnote toolbar and select Edit> Preferences>Sync. Add the following to the end of your e-mail address in the Sync preferences:

#!resetLocalSync

Note that this is Case Sensitive – resetLocalSync not “resetlocalsync". For example, if your email address for EndNote online is yourname@gmail.com , change this to yourname** @gmail.com#!resetLocalSync**

I don’t know about the Mac, but under Windows, it is fairly easy to change that…

• Close EndNote

• Open RegEdit.exe

• Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ISI ResearchSoft\EndNote\Preferences

• Edit string key “SyncLibraryPath”

This gave me the clue that I needed. For some reason I did not have a string key called “SyncLibraryPath” so I followed the directions to the right place in Regedit then

• right-clicked on “Preferences” and added a “new multi-string value” called “SyncLibraryPath”

• I added the value of the full path to my EndNote Library ending in .enl

This seemed to work. 

Paul

could you give me specific instructions on how to do this on a mac? We don’t have the “Regedit” you refer to in your post. Thanks

On Mac, the preferences saved in path ~/Library/Preferences/com.ThomsonResearchSoft.EndNote.plist

you can edit it by Xcode and change the Value of ‘SyncLibraryPath’

same problem here! 

downloaded Xcode. But how can I change the Code of EndNote in Xcode? I can’t even open EndNote in XCode…

If you synchronize a different library or a library from a different location, the information in the preferences of EndNote will become automatically updated. If you need to change to a completely different library that you are synchronizing and you do not wish to merge any existing information, Technical Support can supply you with a special set of instructions. This will reset synchronization based on a different desktop library. Please contact Technical Support if you need to reset your synchronization based on another library:

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote

I faced the same issue. I have changed the location of “My EndNote Library.enl” to Dropbox and it works when I use EndNote X8; however, my changes in EndNote X8 does not appear in Endnote Web even though I have pressed “Sync” button.

Highly recommend you DO NOT USE Dropbox for an SQL multi-file/folder database like Endnote, as it has to be saved in a specific order which can become corrupted easily.  Especially if it is open on more than one machine at a time, or not saved properly before disconnecting/closing endnote.  

next question is- on a PC or a Mac?  

I experience the same problem. I have tried to delete the library, uninstall and reinstall endnote etc. All to no avail. I can’t sync my library with ENDNOTE ONLINE any longer. Is there no simple way to change this? What am I missing here?

KR Mirella

Go up to Jason’s post – basically contact tech support for the steps.  

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-How-To/How-does-one-change-the-sync-library-in-Endnote-X8/m-p/137377#M25629  

Hello, 

What happens if you are prevented from following the RedEdit.exe instructions to try to edit the SyncLibraryPath and don’t have the ability to add a “new multi-string value” called SyncLibraryPath? Does anyone have any instructions they can provide i.e. to allow editing in RedEdit.exe while using a Windows 10 OS?

We had a student come to us with a Windows 10 operating system placed on a Lenovo Yoga. We found that the library (placed on the hard drive) was also automatically syncing to Outlook’s One Drive. We unchecked the automatic sync option, but also tried our best to change the SyncLibraryPath using the two methods described above. We also tried changing her permissions so that we could edit in RedEdit.exe but to no avail. Any ideas? We also deleted her Outlook email address and password details under the headings “Edit” > “Preferences” > “Sync” > “EndNote Account Credentials”

Many thanks. 

Samanthi

Hi, I’ve moved myEndnote Library to an external hard drive.  I can’t sync it, as the path is for an old address.  How can I change this file path?  I’m using Endnote X9.3.3 on a Mac

Any suggestions are very welcome

Basically, DO NOT change the sync path in preferences. If you want to change to a new library, then all the references will merge with the Online account. The path in preferences will change.
If you want to sync a different library and start over, then you will need to Reset Sync. (Make sure you have the library backed-up to a safe location). Follow the back-up and reset instructions: crandon.com.au > Help.
If you need to change the library to a safe location the follow the steps for your OS on the same help page.