How to attach pdf files into EndNote X library?

I’m using Endnote X with Word 2007 (plus Vista) which make the worst combination and give a lot of trouble. But I’ve to stuck with it since I don’t have choice. All of them giving me enough problems but somehow figuring them out. However, recently got another one and couldn’t find any solution.

I’m trying to attach pdf files into my Endnote library.Okey I understood what was the problem. Somehow I found that the problem was length of the name of the pdf file. I’m new user with Endnote X and they should inform about this one. Is there any solution for that one? 

I used to save my pdf files with full name of article since I don’t remember author’s name and always misspell them when I try to find particular article. Using name is more meaningful for me all the time. Can you suggest something else? Can be totally different paper organizing software (shoudl work on PC :cry: since I have to stuck with PC).

@anar wrote:

I’m using Endnote X with Word 2007 (plus Vista) which make the worst combination and give a lot of trouble. But I’ve to stuck with it since I don’t have choice. All of them giving me enough problems but somehow figuring them out. However, recently got another one and couldn’t find any solution.

I’m trying to attach pdf files into my Endnote library.Okey I understood what was the problem. Somehow I found that the problem was length of the name of the pdf file. I’m new user with Endnote X and they should inform about this one. Is there any solution for that one? 

I used to save my pdf files with full name of article since I don’t remember author’s name and always misspell them when I try to find particular article. Using name is more meaningful for me all the time. Can you suggest something else? Can be totally different paper organizing software (shoudl work on PC :cry: since I have to stuck with PC).

There’s a posting in the archive by JasonR regarding pdf character limits which is reproduced below but here’s the link as well: http://forums.thomsonscientific.com/ts/board/message?board.id=en-general&message.id=295&query.id=57#M295

“In regard to - “Is there any limitation on the length of the name of the PDF file?” - EndNote does not have its own specific limit. However, the Windows operating system typically imposes a limit to the overall length of a file “path” to a maximum of 244-260 characters - depending on the exact conditions/version of the operating system. EndNote’s attached files are impacted by this Windows limitation as are nearly all other files used on a Windows-based computer.”

As for methods for handling pdfs, there are various strategies.  Before attaching the pdfs to the corresponding entry in your EndNote library the pdf could be saved by:  1) truncating the title, 2) using author(s) last name and publication date, 3) combination of methods #1 and #2), 4) assigning the pdf the same number as the EndNote reference entry. If you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat (Standard or Professional), you can index each pdf using the full title, author names, subject, and keywords.  Then you can either attach the indexed pdfs to your EndNote library or keep them in a separate folder and use Windows or Acrobat’s search capability to locate materials.

If you are new to EndNote, it may be best to keep your pdfs with the corresponding reference but you can search the archives for further messages which may help you decide what strategy best fits your needs.

Thank you very much. It’s very helpful. Can you please help me further? How can I index pdf files? I’ve full version of adobe acrobat. I tried several times to do that. However, still not yet figured it out. If you help me, that would be tremendous help.

Thanks,

Anarmaa

@anar wrote:

Thank you very much. It’s very helpful. Can you please help me further? How can I index pdf files? I’ve full version of adobe acrobat. I tried several times to do that. However, still not yet figured it out. If you help me, that would be tremendous help.

Thanks,

Anarmaa

You’re very welcome, Anarmaa.  Now, to use Adobe Acrobat’s indexing capability, you’ll need to do the following:

1.  Put your cursor on the pdf document and right-click your mouse which will bring up a menu;

2.  On the menu, select the last entry called "Properties.  This will then bring up the pdf’s properties dialogue box.

3.  The properties box has 4 tabs (General, PDF, Security, Details) - select the PDF tab.

4.  The PDF tab .then shows the fields where you can enter information:  Title, Author, Subject, Keywords.

5.  When you’ve completed entering the information, click OK to close the box.

(This will work only if you have the full Adobe Acrobat program which is not to be confused with the Adobe Acrobat Reader.) 

Thank you for your reply. I think I’m a little bit unlucky with pdf. Somehow I found this property and tried last time, but it didn’t work. After reading your post, I tried again and of course didn’t work. When I tried to locate my test file by the given author name which is very unique (I made 100% sure that the word used for author, title not included anywhere else) using both Vista explorer’s column and advanced search (in indexed, non-indexed files & searched in file content, too) I couldn’t find it. I’ve adobe acrobat 3d v.7.1 and Vista home premium OS. Though, I still can add authors, subject, title, etc. using document properties.

Do you have any idea or suggestion?

Thanks,

Anar

@anar wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I think I’m a little bit unlucky with pdf. Somehow I found this property and tried last time, but it didn’t work. After reading your post, I tried again and of course didn’t work. When I tried to locate my test file by the given author name which is very unique (I made 100% sure that the word used for author, title not included anywhere else) using both Vista explorer’s column and advanced search (in indexed, non-indexed files & searched in file content, too) I couldn’t find it. I’ve adobe acrobat 3d v.7.1 and Vista home premium OS. Though, I still can add authors, subject, title, etc. using document properties.

Do you have any idea or suggestion?

Thanks,

Anar

I misunderstood your prior message and gave you instructions on inserting information (author, title, subject, keywords) in the pdf instead of creating the index.  So here’s how to create an index for a pdf:

1. Open the Acrobat pdf then go to the toolbar and select Advanced> Document Processing> Manage Embedded Index>. 

2. When the “Manage Embedded Index” dialogue box appears, click the Embed Index> button.

To learn more about indexing, click the “Help” link on the Acrobat toolbar.  You’ll find more information on creating pdf indexes (including batch processing) and searching pdfs.  (Very helpful in guiding the process and thinking about indexing pdfs.)

Please check your version of Adobe Acrobat as the indexing capability may limited to the professional version.