How to automatically update references which are not journal articles (do not have DOI's)

Hi all, please excuse my very, very little tech-savvyness. Computers and I are not the best of friends.

I have a question about Endnote. I am an MSc student, and have been using Endnote for about a year and a half now. I know that when you enter the DOI of a journal article (which is the most common reference type I use) into the relevant reference field, and then click on ‘Find Reference Updates’ that the reference will automatically update, using the provided DOI. This is very useful to me, since a lot of the articles I cite are very old. It also saves me a lot of time by not having to enter all the reference details manually.

However, I have been looking into a few patents recently and now want to use (and cite) some of them in my research. The thing is - I have no idea how to update the reference automatically in Endnote. I choose ‘patent’ as the reference type, but I don’t know what critial infromation is necessary to automatically find reference updates as with the journal articles if a DOI is available. Does anyone know what to do? I have the same problem with books. I REALLY don’t want to enter these manually, as it will be so time consuming. 

Also - how do I reference Supporting Information in Endnote? There is no such reference type. See, I still want it to be linked to the article, but I can’t use the same DOI, because then it will see it as the same reference. There has to be some way to distinguish between the article and its supporting information. 

Sorry for the lengthy enquiry!! Hope you actually understand what I am asking (if not, please ask, haha).

1 Like

I have the same question.  If anyone has a solution, please let me know!  Thank you!