How to avoid "ibid." on the start of a new page?

Hello,

my question will be probably solved with a simple yes or no, so here it is: My Endnote (X3) and Office 2007 do not realize when the same reference in two consecutive footnotes are on 2 different sites. So it just writes “ibid.” as the first footnote on the new site, instead of the short-title (E.g. “Aristotleles, Rhetoric”).

Can i change that?

I would love to know the answer to this question as well. This is going to be a determining point whether I can work with Endnote or am better off doing things manually. 

System: OS X.6; Endnote X3; Word 2008

If you are talking about what I think you are talking about, it is possible to edit the output style you use so that it’s using the short form for repeated consecutive citations instead of the ibid.

1. In EndNote go to "Edit > Output Styles > Open Style Manager.
  2. Double click on the style you wish to edit.
  3. Expand the Footnotes section.
  4. Choose Repeated Citations.
  5. On the right are the settings for Repeated consecutive citations and sources. Set these as needed.
  6. Go to File / Save As and save the file under a new name.
  7. Close the style so you are back to your library.
  8. Format your bibliography using the newly created style.

Hope that helps!

If you are asking “Does EndNote know when a repeated citation will appear on a different page in a Word document and thus be formatted differently than other repeated citations?” No - EndNote does not specifically know this.

However, I am not familiar with style formatting guidelines that specifically call for this. The Chicago Manual of Style (on which many other footnotes styles are at least partially based) says if “a citation…from the same source close to the first use ibid.” 15th edition[Sec 11.74].

Regardless, if you are about to start a project that requires footnote formatting it would be worth looking at version X4. We have added many new enhancements to footnote formatting support - including some changes to “ibid” and “short forms” of citations. So, some of these changes will very likely make you work easier.

I hope this helps.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Hi, 

I have EndNote X8 and are looking at the same problem. How can I avoid that the first footnote reference on a new page is listed as Ibid.?

Is there a setting to have the first footnote on every new page in short format?

Really happy if someone could help me. 

Thank you. 

Greetings Leonie 

I don’t believe the answer has changed from that of Jason’s above your question.