How to change the order of references in one in-text bracket?

How to change (Pie 1982; Graham 2003; Carter 2009) to (Carter 2009; Graham 2003; Pie 1982) in in-text brackets?

The order of references within the same bracket seems to be year of works by default. Can I change them into  an alphabetical order of the authors’ initials (rather than year of works)? Thank you very much.

By the way, I used the up and down arrows in “editing and managing citations” to change the order, but they did not work out. Where can I change the default setting? 

You’ll need to adjust the “Citation Sort Order” in the output style file so the Author field is the “lead” field.  Did you also want the bibliography to be listed in alphabetical order by Author name as well?  If so, you’ll also need to adjust the “Bibliography Sort Order” setting as well.

The procedure goes like this:

1. Go to the EndNote toolbar, select EDIT, OUTPUT STYLES, EDIT [name of your style]. This will cause the style’s dialog box to be displayed onscreen.

2. In left column, locate “Bibliography” then click on the “Sort Order” heading. (see image1). The Author+Year+Title selection indicates the sort order for the bibliography.  If you prefer a different option, select that instead.

3. In the left column now locate “Citations” then click on the “Sort Order” heading (see image2).  The “Same as bibliography” selection means that the sort order will be Author first, followed by Year.

4. Close the Style window when done. You will be prompted to save the changes which will make another copy of the file with the word “Copy” added to the name. So you’ll need to change both EndNote and MS Word to use this file instead.
    1_Bibliography_SortOrder.gif
    2_Citation_SortOrder.gif

Prompt and great solution:smileyvery-happy:

Many thanks!

Hi,

is it also possible to change this for ONE in-text bracket only (rather than changing the default in the style manager)?

thank you

Oliver

@oarnold wrote:

Hi,

is it also possible to change this for ONE in-text bracket only (rather than changing the default in the style manager)?

thank you

Oliver

Not automatically. You’ll need to edit the citation to " hide"  the entries then manually  type them in the desired order.

In the word document right click the bracket that has multiple references and select ‘edit citation’. Here after clicking ‘more’ a window pops up that allows you to change the order of the refences.

Phaniraj, That only changes the order if there are no “sort” criteria in place in the output style for citations.  These are usually dictated by the publisher, often alphabetical or by year, oldest to newest.  

Hi,

It is true that publishers set a required sorting order, but what if you need to change (Tokarz et al 1995, Bajer et al 2010, Smith et al 2011) to (Bajer et al 2010, Smith et al 2011, but see Tokarz et al 1995). You can put the §but see’ there with the prefix, but how do you manually custom the sorting order for that one bracket?

Thanks

@savellion wrote:

… but what if you need to change (Tokarz et al 1995, Bajer et al 2010, Smith et al 2011) to (Bajer et al 2010, Smith et al 2011, but see Tokarz et al 1995). You can put the §but see’ there with the prefix, but how do you manually custom the sorting order for that one bracket?

Change* the Sort Order setting  of  the Citations  section  to sort by either:  1) Author,  or 2) Don’t sort. 

*Go to the Endnote toolbar  and select : Edit > Output Styles > Edit  [name of your output style]. Then in the  pop-up output style dialog box  locate the  Citations  section  and click on  Sort  Order.   Change   the sort order  to one of the options noted above .After you modify, the output style it will be saved as a new file  with the word  “Copy "  added to the name”.  Adjust  the Endnote tab  in the  MS word ribbon  to use  the new output style.  

My references are all out of order.  I want them in order of appearance as they occur within the document.

help!!

Please post a new thread.  This one is unrealated to your problem it is marked as solved.  – It is the big orange button, new message here http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-How-To/bd-p/en-howto.  

You will also need to provide more detail.  What do you mean by out of order?  – what output style are you using?  where is  the manuscript to be published.  Is this the first time you have used endnote?  

Thank you!

It was really helpful!

Dear CrazyGecko,

thanks for your post, I solved my problem.

Best.