How to cite a translated book?

Hey guys,

I wonder if u could help me with this issue! I want to cite a translated book, but i can,t!

I add the translator,s name in the translator section, but it doesn,t appear!

I mean for eg. Whean i want to cite “Hopscotch” written by Julio Cortazar and translated by Gregory Rabasa,

Instead of this: 1. Julio Cortazar, Hopscotch, translated by Gregory Rabassa. New York:Pantheon Books, 1966.

It appears like this: 1. Julio Cortazar, Hopscotch. New York …

I appriciate your help :wink:

PS: i still use the X1 :catvery-happy:

It sounds like the output style’s template is missing both the “translated by” and Translator field. Which output style are you using?

I usually use “vancouver”, however i tried almost every out put to solve this, but it was not the solution!

Have you tried APA 6th?

That produces:

Rabelais, F. (1968). The essential Rabelais (S. Putnam, Trans.): Chatto & Windus.

for an entry for a translated book.

My Vancouver has the following template for “book” (and isn’t numbered?) 

Author. (Year). Title| (|Translator, Trans.| Editor Ed.^Eds.| Edition ed.| Vol. Volume|)|. Place Published|: Publisher|.

Which is similar to the APA format - posted by LLC.  If you want it to appear like you have it, it doesn’t look like Vancouver is what you want?  Note the year is in the wrong place and you want text defining the translator.  If you edit this record type, you will need to edit them all - at least to reflect the position of the year? 

What is the publication you are formatting this for?  

1. Julio Cortazar, Hopscotch, translated by Gregory Rabassa. New York:Pantheon Books, 1966.

Author. Title|,*translated*by*Translator|, Editor Ed.^Eds.| Edition ed.| Vol. Volume|, Place Published|: Publisher|, Year.

The stars are “link adjacent” characters inserted from the field dropdown list.  

I know, that was an example i,ve found on internet!

So, it works with APA 6TH, but it,s not numbered! And i need it to be vancouver! But when i choose the vancouver, the translators name does not appear! What should i do?

Here is another technical question: what should i put in the publisher section of a translated book, The Original publisher or the publisher of the translated version?

attach your current output style and we can look at it. 

I suspect it should be the version of the book that has been translated, as that is where your reader is most likely to look?  

I meant that the APA is not numbered, and i need it to be vancouver which is numbered!

Here i attached a library, i’d be thankfull i u could take a look at it :wink:

How to cite a translated book.zip (20.3 KB)

Okay, I downloaded a clean Vancouver and added the Trans Translator to the book and the book section.  It is attached.  open it and save it and make sure you change your word document to use it!

Vancouver Transl.ens (42.7 KB)

Thanx man, that was very useful :wink:

Rabelais, F. (1968). The essential Rabelais (S. Putnam, Trans.): Chatto & Windus.

which year I’ll cite? the original source or the tranlated book?

You would want the reader to know where and how to access the work, and just giving the original publication would probably not suffice for that.  I googled “republished citation year”

APA has this suggested format:

• Freud, S. (1961). The ego and the id. In J. Strachey (Ed. and Trans.), The standard edition of the complete psychological works of Sigmund Freud (Vol. 19, pp. 3 - 66). London: Hogarth Press. (Original work published 1923)

see http://www.cws.illinois.edu/workshop/writers/citation/apa/reprintedbook/

and suggests citing it as (Freud, 1923/1961)

also see 

https://penandthepad.com/cite-reprinted-works-apa-style-2335.html  

I regoogled above adding CMS

CMS has a different solution I guess: http://www.bibme.org/citation-guide/chicago/book  (see last example on page).

So it obviously will depend on the style the publisher.