How to export references with their abstracts to a text file ?

Hello,

I miss the trick of how to export the references listed in Endnote with their abstracts to a text or word file ?

Is this possible while keeping the formatted form or adding some extrat formating such colored titles for example?

Thank you

Not sure about coloring them, but you can File>export a set (have just those showing or a or a selection and use an output style that includes the fields you want formated as you like, just like those for the Journals.  Make sure you save as “RTF” to retain formating and try starting with Annotated -which out of the box looks like this (except the abstract is left indented- which didn’t transfer to the window):

Abe, T. (1999). “Infantile leukemia and soybeans–a hypothesis.” Leukemia 13 (3): 317-320.

Recent molecular-genetic studies have revealed that in the majority of patients with secondary leukemia induced by topoisomerase II (topo II) inhibitors and also with infantile acute leukemia (IAL), the breakpoints are clustered within scaffold attachment regions (SARs) of 3’-MLL-bcr near exon 9. Genistein, abundant in soybeans, is reported to be a potent nonintercalative topo II inhibitor. It interferes with the break-reseal reaction of topo II by stabilizing a cleavable complex, which in the presence of detergents, results in DNA strand breaks. The present study revealed that genistein induced chromatid-type aberrations, in which chromatid exchanges are often observed. Genistein seems to act in a manner very similar to that of VP-16, although the latter is reported to produce both chromatid- and chromosome-type aberrations. In view of this pharmacological similarity between genistein and VP-16, and also the similarity of breakpoint clustering regions within the MLL gene in reported cases with secondary leukemia and IAL, genistein may be largely responsible for the development of IAL.

Thanks for your reply.

I tried to export using the few formats available (rtf, txt, html, xml) with the output styles supplied by default (annotaed, chicago 16, author-date, numbered, show all field) but no of these provided the abstracts! 

Shouldn’t this simple option be available in more intuitive and straightforward way? 

I found it but it is not so easy! I have to go to empty word document, select all references, clic insert them, searching an output style that provide formatting with abstract, clcik formating, select the reference pasted above the first abstract, delete with care only the reference headings pasted above the first abstract !

This is really not user-friendly at all!

Why export option is not as simple as:

“export all reference with abstracts”

“export all references without abstracts”

“export selected references with abstracts”  

“export selected references without abstracts”   ?

Did you try “Annotated”?  It should include the abstract… So will “show all fields” - Selecting it in the library window isn’t enough.  You need to select that style in the export window dialog.

And with the records selected in your library – File menu  drop-down-- Export – and you can create the output style exactly as you want it to appear. 

I would like to be able to have titles and references information in a formatting different from that for abstract!

This is more easily to catch attention and eye hover on! 

If I take the example you provided above, I would like to have it in something like this:

Abe, T. (1999). “Infantile leukemia and soybeans–a hypothesis.” Leukemia 13(3): 317-320.

Recent molecular-genetic studies have revealed that in the majority of patients with secondary leukemia induced by topoisomerase II (topo II) inhibitors and also with infantile acute leukemia (IAL), the breakpoints are clustered within scaffold attachment regions (SARs) of 3’-MLL-bcr near exon 9. Genistein, abundant in soybeans, is reported to be a potent nonintercalative topo II inhibitor. It interferes with the break-reseal reaction of topo II by stabilizing a cleavable complex, which in the presence of detergents, results in DNA strand breaks. The present study revealed that genistein induced chromatid-type aberrations, in which chromatid exchanges are often observed. Genistein seems to act in a manner very similar to that of VP-16, although the latter is reported to produce both chromatid- and chromosome-type aberrations. In view of this pharmacological similarity between genistein and VP-16, and also the similarity of breakpoint clustering regions within the MLL gene in reported cases with secondary leukemia and IAL, genistein may be largely responsible for the development of IAL.

PS: I tried here to put the title above in colored fond but it didn’t work apparently ! General issue with formatting in Endnote products, websites… ?   :) 

Yes, Endnote can’t do colors.  Not in its repetoire.  But it can do bold. and the attached should be similar to what you showed? You just need to learn to edit styles to achieve (well almost- if you accept no colors) what you want.   
Annotated edited.ens (18.4 KB)

I know that there is an editing option for new styles but it looks complicated to me as there is a lot of options! 

Look at the file you attached, how many options to fill in or to check for chosing the right ones? A lot as seen, even we don’t need them all, but they are cumbersome and discouraging!  

I think Endnote should be simpler and intuitive than now!

People ask and developers develop I guess.  It would be nice if editing styles was a bit more “what you see, is what you get” and thats a worthwhile request. 

Hi,

i have been benefiting from your tips, many thanks, may ask one question, how to put them in sequence from the latest publication to the oldest? many thanks

You can edit the sort order in bibliography settings of the output style, choose Other then first year Year, then by the rest (this: Author, then title).  see attached.  – it gets more complicated and not easy to do if you want some other date information to be used (month) as the other date fields are not sortable correctly unless you manually convert them to alpha-numeric.

So most Pubmed journal articles have the ePub date in the generic “edition” field like this 2014/08/19 which would be sorted correctly.  But the Date field usually only contains the Month word and some times the date, (Jan 2) and this would be sorted alphabetically and not of much use (Apr first, then Aug, etc).  see columns in library display reverse sorted by ePub (generic Edition) 

Hello bro 

Please How to remove the record number in the temporary citation Because every time my temporary citation is like that (Auteur, 2000, #21). I need that it be (Auteur, 2000) in my word document