How to go from "(author, year)" to "author (year)" in Word 2007?

Since people complained about the requirement to actually type the name in front of the parentheses, as we happily did in the past, they created a new option, the Author (YEAR) edit citation option - which in the temporary citation looks like this 

{Abe, 1989 #101@@author-year} which will be formatted as Abe et al (1989)  Note the @@author-year which is how the edit “formatted” citation Author (year) gets coded in the unformatted citation.  This avoids you needing to ever type the author name in the document itself.  

Your “Meyer and Paulay {, 2005 #4777}”  should also work.   I find that I may also have to tweak the normal (Author, year) template  Citation template in your output style to(|Author, |Year| p.^pp. Cited Pages|)  – I also like to put in those separation characters to the Author (Year) template as  |Author |(Year) so you won’t  loose the open parentheses if you omit the author.  (see image capture3 attached) 

• but you don’t want to combine the two approaches.  

Do not edit the formatted citation and apply the Author (YEAR) to a temporary citation like this: “Meyer and Paulay {, 2005 #4777}” as that effectively ends up with:  Meyer and Paulay {, 2005 #47771@@author-year}  as you will then get the double author.

The necessary settings in preferences for formatting should all be checked, in case you changed any of them.  A series of unformatted versions before and after formatting are shown  in images Capture1 and Capture2 attached.