How to include in the footnote EITHER the field "Cited Pages" OR the field "Pages"

Hi there,

This is important because when I refer to a whole paper, all the page range of the paper should appear, e. g.,

M. Albright, “How to do this”, JNE 34, 2016, 23-34

But when I cite a specific page, it should appear as follows:

M. Albright, “How to do this”, JNE 34, 2016, 28

How may I let the template know that, if the field “Cited pages” is not empty in the footnote, the field “Pages” must not appear?

Thank you!

This is an very unusual requirement, as how does one know if the citation is a one page paper, or a cite from the paper?  If there a separate bibiliography, the full pages are shown (and have separate templates) and the footnotes contain the cited page? 

What style are using, is it MLA, Chicago or APA, or something else?    

Hi there,

Thank you for your time. I am not using any of these, but my own style, which derives from the general and traditional citation style used in Philology and Humanities. 

“how does one know if the citation is a one page paper, or a cite from the paper?”

Well, one doesn’t; (s)he should look at the final biblioraphy. But note that there a different works (i.d., papers) which do not require to include a final bibliography. That is not needed.

I do remember that in BookEnds this kind of choosing could be made, but I am afraid in EndNote users are more used to Social Sciences / Natural Sciences styles. For now, what I am doing is:

Author, «Title», Journal Volume|, |Year|•,•|Pages|•[•Cited Pages•]

E.g., M. Albright, «The name of the paper», JNE 28, 32-56 [38]

where 38 is the specific page I want to cite in this point. But it is actually no solution.

Hi,

Have you made any progress on figuring this one out? I’ve been putting off solving this problem until the end of the PhD thesis (in Theology), but now I’m here, and I’m stuck! I figured there would be a work around where it would dispaly “pages” if there was no entry for “cited pages”… but none that I can find.

I can’t understand how this is not a bigger problem experienced by more people, but as you say, maybe Endnote is used more by people in different fields.

I like your solution with the cited pages in square brackets, but if I’m going to adhere to our department’s style guide it won’t do. I’m think I might just need to go through every single foonote and insert the full page range as cited pages for every reference. There won’t be too many references that applies to I hope, as I’m usually citing specific pages anyway… But I do wish there was a way to do it automatically!

Do let me know if you have come across a solution, and I will be forever in your debt!

Maja

Hi,

Have you made any progress on figuring this one out? I’ve been putting off solving this problem until the end of the PhD thesis (in Theology), but now I’m here, and I’m stuck! I figured there would be a work around where it would dispaly “pages” if there was no entry for “cited pages”… but none that I can find.

I can’t understand how this is not a bigger problem experienced by more people, but as you say, maybe Endnote is used more by people in different fields.

I like your solution with the cited pages in square brackets, but if I’m going to adhere to our department’s style guide it won’t do. I’m think I might just need to go through every single foonote and insert the full page range as cited pages for every reference. There won’t be too many references that applies to I hope, as I’m usually citing specific pages anyway… But I do wish there was a way to do it automatically!

Do let me know if you have come across a solution, and I will be forever in your debt!

Maja