How to left justify reference list

Hi there,

I am using Word 2016 and Endnote x7.

Endnote keeps centering my reference list, when I am requiring it to remain left justified. I have attempted to modify the style in Word, but it keeps reverting as it updates the list.

I have read previous posts about this topic, but the solutions offered previously do not seem to make the left justification “stick”. Any suggestions?

This is usually because Endnote sporadically acquires the paragraph information for the reference list from the last paragraph in the document.  so if your last paragraph was a centered “References” heading, it is applied to the all the rest of the references.  

First make a copy of the document (ALWAYS MAKE A Backup!) then you want to delete the existing bibliography.  Make sure there is a plain paragraph return, left aligned, at the end of the document, and try to update the citations and bibliography.  (Then you can select the bibliography and move it to where ever you like in the document.)  

If this doesn’t work, you may need to unformat the citations to unformatted, move the text without the last paragraph - to a new document, insert that last paragraph left aligned, and then update again.  

Iwantto

@quinnme wrote:

Hi there,

I am using Word 2016 and Endnote x7.

Endnote keeps centering my reference list, when I am requiring it to remain left justified. I have attempted to modify the style in Word, but it keeps reverting as it updates the list.

I have read previous posts about this topic, but the solutions offered previously do not seem to make the left justification “stick”. Any suggestions?

Hi Leanne,

do you by any chance know how can I “unmirror” my reference list (which automatically came out with numbering in the righ side of the word page)? I don’t know if "quinnme"had the same issue regarding also the numbering on the right side, or only the justification issue, but what you suggested in that case did not work on mine :frowning:

Thanks in advance!

Can you manually rename your word file with .txt and attach it here or zip it into a folder?  then I can look at it, and see if I can see a problem.