How to make in-text citations look like "Tononi et al., 1994 & 1998"

Dear all Endnote users,

I would like to ask how to make in-text citations look like “Tononi et al., 1994 & 1998” instead of "Tononi et al., 1994; Tononi et al., 1998). One thing to note is that only the first author is identical in both references, the co-authors are different.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best,

Andy

I think this can only be accomplished by hiding the year for the first citation, hiding the author and year for the second citation, and putting the text " 1994 & 1998" in the suffix field (of either  - be sure to include a space before the first year – without the quotes).

Stepwise,  this would be accomplished via a right click in the formated citation, and choosing “edit citation” – choosing “more” and chosing each of the two citations in that group in the edit citation menu, change “default” to “exclude year” for one and “exclude author and year” for the other, adding the " 1994 & 1998" to the suffix field and then the “Okay” button.

Dear Leanne,

Thank you for your instructions. It became “Tononi et al.;  1994 & 1998”. Is there a way to remove the semicolumn?

Best,

Andy

Yes, sorry I guess it does matter which one you put the suffix in – put it in the other citation, not the one where both are hidden.  Then it should work.