How to make "et al" appear in in-text citations in APA 6th

Many thanks for your reply. I had not actually written each author on one line, but instead separated them with commas. Splitting them to one line per author now created a new problem: Endnote now cites all authors in the text. So now my citations say (Oldham, Cummings, Mischel, Schmidtke, & Zhou, 1995) - instead of (Oldham, 1995). Obviously made a difference, but still no et al… 

Have attached the things you required. I wish I was able to upgrade, but I am just a fairly poor PhD student studying a distance course, so I probably have to try and sort it out without the upgrade, unfortunately.  

Let me know if you have any other ideas, given the new circumstances above. 

Thanks again!

APA 6th.ens (59.8 KB)

Progress!

That is because it is set (as I believe APA 6th requires) to show up to 5 authors if there are 6 authors or less at the first appearance.  If you want it to only display 2 (as Jones & Smith) and anything over 2 as Jones et al you will need to change that “6” to 3 in the First Appearance box.  (like it is for subsequent appearances).

Fantastic! Huge thanks for all your help!!

what is “first apperance box”, please  share a photo or en example 

No problem although there are two examples in the posts below (the .gifs)  But here it is again.  Highlighted.  

I followed that you’ve mentioned but not working. 

all authors names are showing not et al.

how can I fix this

You need to make sure any changes are saved to a new output style and that you then select that output style in WORD on the ribbon, and not in Endnote to apply those changes.  This often means you need to show all styles and select the newly created one?  

Dear it is not working when i chose the style from word ribbon and insert citation, i get blank no action on word page however if i chose another template it works 

Then you are probably using an output style that is set up for footnotes and not for in text citations.  For a footnote style you need to insert the footnote using the word processor procedure and then insert the citation into the footnote.  

I’m searching for some homepage for some of my purpose a today and after i see this post, Very benefit!. Actually, I have read about this post are rather. In this article, I have found highlights which have never read from anywhere. These things, it gives me some ideas… For to develop my blog to really, i appreciate this post. It’s really a great and helpful piece of info. I am satisfied that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks…

I have been looking for a solution to the issue of et. el., I find your suggestion to be very helpful. Thank you 

When you change the author number from 6 to 3 in the edit box, you need to “Save” it. Either you give it another APA name or under the same name advisable give it a new name like APA 6the New or something. 

Hi there,

I’m not sure whether you’re still looking for a solution for the ‘et al’ issue, but if you try to add a blank space before ‘et al’ on the ‘Author List page’ in endnote, I think it should work, I’m having the same issue, now I fixed it. Hope it would work for you. 

:stuck_out_tongue:

Bro doesn’t cite manually your papers. Use Vancouver citation generator before I also cite my papers manually but this type of error I have faced daily. So I start searching on the internet and I found citation generator

Hi Leanne,

I am a brand new endnote user, so thanks in advance for your patience.

Under “Author Separators” I only seem to have 2 options.  Is there a way to create a 3rd option?  This is what I am trying to achieve:

2 Authors:

Always cite both authors’ names in-text everytime you reference them. Example: Johnson and Smith (2009) found…

3-5 Authors:

Provide all the authors’ last names when you first refer to a document with 3-5 authors. Only list the first author with the Latin abbreviation “et al.” for any subsequent references.

Example:

Jones, Chavez, Jackson, and Chen (2010) duplicated…

Jones et al. (2010) further described…

6 or More Authors:

If a document has six or more authors, simply provide the last name of the first author with “et al.” from the first citation to the last.

Example:

Thomas et al. (2007) likened abnormal psychology to…

… distractions (Thomas et al., 2007).

Important Note: If you have two or more documents that look the same when shortened, please follow the guidelines set out in the Authors and Dates Matching section.

I think that is what the currrent settings will achieve?  

First appearance if less than 6, then all authors will be listed (that would be 2-5) the first time but if more than 2 but less than 6, only the first author will be listed et al.  

Subsequent appearances – anything more than 2 (which would be listed as “Johnson and Smith”) will be first author, et al.  

Hi there. I have been doing all what has been suggested but stil doesnt work.

I noticed that even though I save as a new style, as soon as I close it down and re-open the changes are gone.

Any reason for that?

Cheers

Are you "save as"ing it to the same name?  You can’t do that, especially if it is a “default” style installed with the program.  Those live in a protected folder with the program.  The ones you save go to a User folder. If there are two the same name in each of the places, Endnote usually uses the default version.  

Then you need to go into your document and find and select the edited version to assign on the endnote tab/ribbon.  

I’ve been following the advice given in this thread. Alternate saved / named  file, correct authors, etc but still can’t get a 3 author book to appear as et al in the citation? What am I missing? Thanks. 

and you are sure you have the modified style selected in the word document’s endnote ribbon/toolbar, and not the original?