How to search references by allocated group?

Hi folks,

I’m probably misssing something really obvious here, but I’ve searched google etc. for an answer and haven’t come up with anything…

Most of my references have been asigned to multiple custom groups. What I’d like to do is search for references that are in two or more specific custom groups. The record summary shows that group information is assigned to each reference however the search function doesn’t seem to have a corresponding field that I can use to search.

Could anyone please explain how I do this?

Thank you!

Mark

1 Like

There could very well be another way around this, but here is one option. I would go to Groups > Create From Groups to find the references, then search in the newly created group.

There could very well be another way around this, but here is one option. I would go to Groups > Create From Groups… in the menu to find the references, then search in the newly created group.

PS: I am using Endnote X7 on both PC and Mac.

Thanks for that, I didn’t know about making groups in that way. It basically does what I was looking to do.

Do you know if there is a way to refresh a “create from” group? I noticed that the create from group doesn’t change if I add a reference to one of the contributing groups.

I don’t exactly because I struggle with some of the limitations of using Group.

One other thing I do is to just drag and drop to the contributing groups to the new group to update or add the new references, but I still have the problem that if a reference gets removed from the contributing groups (or if I dropped a reference in there by error), it is a pain to rat it out and remove it.