How to sync with EndNote Web

Thanks for the information, but can you share how we can upgrade. I’m using through a university.

Hi weiling_chiu, yes, thanks for sharing your email address. I saw it in the screenshot you shared as well. The issue is that you are using X6.0.0 but need to update to X6.0.2 in order to use EndNoteSync. You can do this by clicking on the menu “Help → EndNote Program Updates…”

ebabbit, I am not sure yet you are having the same issue. Can you check your ‘Sync Status’ button to confirm what the error message is? Or, send me your email address after trying to sync so I can have a look from our side? 

As far as upgrading, you may have to check with your IT department about any process specific to your situation. Otherwise, you can try clicking the menu item “Help → EndNote Program Updates…”.

I did the upgrade to 6.0.1 and tried the sync again. It worked just fine. Thank you for the assistance!

Hello ebabbit,

Very glad to hear that!

Thanks.

Yes you are right, it is still version X6.

I realise what the problem is that it won’t let me update to X6.0.1 or X6.0.2.

It says “This updater was unable to find any copies of EndNote that could be updated to EndNote X6.0.2”…!!!

I have tried with X6.0.1 updater as well. Same message came up.

Very frustrating…

Please help.

Mac update section From the TR webpage: http://endnote.com/downloads/available-updates    ENDNOTE X6 X6.0.2 FOR MAC OS X (RELEASED 25 JAN 2013)

• Install the X6.0.1 for Mac OS X Update, if you have not already done so. (Not sure? From within EndNote, go to “EndNote X6” menu > About EndNote to see your version number on the right side.)
  • Download and unzip the Update.
  • Double-click on the “EndNote X6.0.2 Updater” file.
  • ALTERNATELY: If you have problems installing the patch, you can instead install the  full X6.0.2 version. Using this method, your product key will be required for installation.
  • NOTE: If you do not see the EndNote tools in Word after updating, in EndNote click “EndNote X6” and choose “Customizer”. Ensure the Cite While You Write component is checked and press “Next” until the process has completed.

X6.0.1 FOR MAC OS X (RELEASED 14 NOV 2012)

• Download and unzip the Update.
  • Double-click on the “EndNote X6.0.1 Updater” file.
  • NOTE: If you do not see the EndNote tools in Word after updating, in EndNote click “EndNote X6” and choose “Customizer”. Ensure the Cite While You Write component is checked and press “Next” until the process has completed.

Hi am a university student user and I’ve been trying the sync for two days but it keeps frustrating me. The problem is that when I clicked on sync for the first time in the software I didn’t complete the register process-- although I signed up later on the endnote website. But the desktop app just remembers my incompletion of my first time registration within the software and keeps showing the same information of sync failure. I wonder how I can change my log in information in the software (couldn’t find yet…) Thanks a lot!

The sync failure message is as follows:

Sync Details
Sync was last run: Never
Sync Status: There are changes that need to be sent.
Error Code: Server.AuthenticationToken.invalidUserCredentials
Error Message: Failed: The username/password specified is not valid.

Local Sync Library
Library Name: My EndNote Library.enl
Records: 74
Groups: 8
Attachments: 24

Online Sync Library
Username: xinyue.luo@yale.edu
Serial Number: Unable to contact EndNote Web.
Records: Unknown
Groups: Unknown
Attachments: Unknown

Sync Limits
Number of Records: Unknown
Number of Groups: Unknown
Number of Attachments: Unknown

Hello, zuzulo:

Thanks for including your sync status; it’s very helpful. It’s indicating that either the email address or the password you have entered into the EndNote preferences is incorrect.

Please go to Edit>Preferences (or EndNote>Preferences if this is Mac) and choose sync. Please retype the email address and password here. Then click OK and try the sync again.

If this still fails, please go to http://my.endnote.com and use the Forgot Password link to reset the password. Then enter the new password into the EndNote preferences as described above.

If this still fails, please contact our support team.

Hi,

I’m having the same problem at it is very frustrating. I just bought endnote for ipad, and was really hoping to sync between devices. But I’m getting stonewalled every time. This is the error message:

Sync Details
Sync was last run: Never
Sync Status: There are changes that need to be sent.
Sync Errors: Server.AuthenticationToken.invalidClientCredentials

Local Sync Library
Library Name: My EndNote Library-Saved-Saved.enl
Records: 365
Groups: 0
Attachments: 2
Username: ***************@live.co.uk

EndNote Web Sync Library
Serial Number: Unable to contact EndNote Web.
Records: Unknown
Groups: Unknown
Attachments: Unknown

Sync Limits
Number of Records: Unknown
Number of Groups: Unknown
Number of Attachments: Unknown

I am have a university license, the details are as per screenshot.
I have downloaded the 6.0.2, and tried to install it, but the message I get is that there is nothing to install on. Perhaps denoting that my version is already the latest? I wouldn’t know.

I am very frustrated at the moment, and would appreciate any help I can get. 

Thanks

Abdullah

Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 10.11.55 pm.jpg

Hello!

I am pretty sure I know where you’re going wrong. Please see the instructions at: http://endnote.com/downloads/available-updates

If you try to install the X6.0.2 update before the X6.0.1, you will get the error you are describing when installing the update. And those updates ARE required to Sync, which is why Sync is not working.

So, please do the following, in this order:

1. From that website, download the X6.0.1 update and install it per the directions.

2. Once that’s complete, download and install the X6.0.2 and install it per the directions.

3. After both patches are successfully installed, please attempt your sync again.

If this still fails, please contact our Technical Support team directly for troubleshooting.

Goodness, I feel like a total pillock!

Thanks for that Gillian!

Don’t feel bad; it’s a very common mistake! Glad I could help.

Hi all,

unfortunately I’m having a somewhat similar problem with sync, but not due to authencitation problems. See below my error message:

Sync Details
Sync was last run: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 11:05:18 AM +0200
Sync Status: There are changes that need to be sent and received.
Error Code: Server.invalidInput
Error Message: Server.invalidInput - This reference is already expunged

Local Sync Library
Library Name: Ecologia.enl
References: 5734
Groups: 5
Group Sets: 2
Attachments: 5341
Username: dbprovete@gmail.com

Online Sync Library
Serial Number: 5091797072 (Premium until December 31, 2015)
References: 10454
Groups: 5
Group Sets: 2
Attachments: 457 (434.88 MB)

Sync Limits
Number of References: 1000000 (989546 can still be added)
Number of Groups: 5000 (4995 can still be added)
Number of Group Sets: 5000 (4998 can still be added)
Attachment Storage: Unlimited

I’d really appreciate if you could help me solve it. 

Thank you

I’ve been syncing between desktop and web version for some time with no issues. Recently I moved my local endnote file to a new location, and this has broken the sync process. Under Sync Preferences, in the box labelled ‘Sync this endnote library’, it still lists the old file location even though I’ve opened the file from its new location. I assume that’s why it’s not syncing, but it doesn’t seem possible to change the location from within preferences (i.e., when you click on that box, you can’t do anything.) Thanks for any advice. 

@mikegisick wrote:

I’ve been syncing between desktop and web version for some time with no issues. Recently I moved my local endnote file to a new location, and this has broken the sync process. Under Sync Preferences, in the box labelled ‘Sync this endnote library’, it still lists the old file location even though I’ve opened the file from its new location. I assume that’s why it’s not syncing, but it doesn’t seem possible to change the location from within preferences (i.e., when you click on that box, you can’t do anything.) Thanks for any advice. 

Unfortunately, the library path location is a non-editable field. In order to change libraries you will need to reset your Endnote online account.

Can’t locate instructions in the knowledge base so suggest you contact tech support:

Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. Eastern (GMT -5)
+1-800-336-4474, press 4

Submit a technical support request

International support contacts

Hey there,

i have installed EndNote X7.4 and i have problem synchronising with EndNote web.

I created a new lib (11refs) and even though i set up everything right (as i think) my endnote web lib isnt synchronising. No references are listed online.

Does anyone know the problem and/or solution therefore? or is it just taking some time?

best regards!

Hey there,

i have installed EndNote X7.4 and i have problem synchronising with EndNote web.

I created a new lib (11refs) and even though i set up everything right (as i think) my endnote web lib isnt synchronising. No references are listed online.

Does anyone know the problem and/or solution therefore? or is it just taking some time?

best regards!

Hello support, 

I am currently having a very similiar issue (see attachment) with X7.7, Windows, with a university license.

Error message is: “server.invalidInput - This reference is already expunged”

Also, the progress bar keeps stopping almost at the end of “sending updates” but never fully finishes.

I already changed my password. It didn’t help.

Help, please! :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Ruth

Hello support, 

I am currently having a very similiar issue (see attachment) with X7.7, Windows, with a university license.

Error message is: “server.invalidInput - This reference is already expunged”

Also, the progress bar keeps stopping almost at the end of “sending updates” but never fully finishes.

I already changed my password. It didn’t help.

Help, please! :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Ruth