How to update bibliography's on Pages'09

I am using Pages 09 with endnote. But I can not update the references once I already inserted into pages.

In word exist a button to do it. Pages says that one should close pages and endnote and then open Endnote and then pages and should update automatically but nothing happens.

Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot

Cristian

1 Like

I have the exact same problem. Can anyone from Thomson perhaps help us out?

1 Like

I’ve talked to their tech support, and this is a known issue.  Whether they plan to do something about it, I don’t know.  Quitting and restarting both Pages and EndNote works if you want to apply a new style to already existing references (a cumbersome workaround), but there is no way to propagate changes to an actual reference from EndNote into Pages.  The only solution is to delete and then reinsert all your references that you want to change.  In which case, why use EndNote at all?  Of course, for all I know the problem may be Steve Jobs’ refusal to allow third-party software interoperability, but in any case this issue needs addressing!

Please, vote for this if you have the same issue; EndNote looks at these based on a voting system!

We have created APIs for Apple to use to support this specific functionality [and many other features as well]. I do not really think it is a matter of Apple specifically trying to prevent software interoperability but rather of the Pages team having time to devote to improving the EndNote integration. We talk to them and pass all of these comments along but they are likely more meaningful coming directly from real customers. The Pages suggestion form is here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/pages.html

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Except that Apple Pages implemented Endnote and not the other way around. I don’t think Thomson has any ability to modify the interface, you need to vote at the Pages site.  See Jason’s message and link here. (added in edit “AND BELOW”  - snap!)  The link to Apple is 

http://www.apple.com/feedback/pages.html.

Ok thanks Jason.  For anyone else who’s interested, please comment on this post on Apple’s website to try and get their attention.

I have recently bought Pages and the EndNote integration as compared to Mac Word is absolutely dismal. No one in his right mind should use this product for writing research papers until a similar level of functionality and ease is achieved with Pages as achieved with ndNote. If this cannot be done then I would stop pretending that integration is achievable. It is not until one wishes to turn cartwheels to achieve virtually nothing

Unlike in Word, all compatibility with Pages for Cite While You Write is in the Pages program itself. Microsoft Word offers a full Visual Basic suite for creating third party add-in files, separate from Word itself.

Until Pages does something similar, you’re not going to see tools with the same power as they have in Word.

Hi all,

Is there any solution to this problem yet? I recently bought Endnote x7 to use with my Pages v5.2.2 and hoping for seamless integration, but it seems that I got stuck when it comes to updating bibliography in Pages after made some modification in Endnote… If this issues has been resolved, could anyone explain the solution, plz… thanks. 

Hey,

I am still experiencing this issue, too. Anything new at this point? Maybe from the Endnote Team? 

Greets

found this when I searched the apple site (https://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&locale=en_US&product=&q=Endnote%20Pages%20v5.2.2&src=support_site.kbase.search.searchresults)..)

in particular: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204395 and it was updated in March 2015? Not sure if you need a new add-in, or if this is still historical and applies to earlier versions?  

Hey Leanne,

thanks for your research. I recently installed this Plug-In by Apple. It seems like there is no way to update your bibliography in Pages 5.5 after making changes in your Endnote Library. Except from re-doing all the citations whose pendants have changed in the Endnote Library. I wrote to the Pages Developer Team, but i guess at the moment they are heavily engaged in this icloud programming stuff and not focussing on third party apps. We will see. 

I got it right, that there is nothing the Endnote developers can do about this, because Apple has to re-program the Plug-In, right?

Best,

Malte

That is my understanding.  – I am just a user too. see http://endnote.com/kb/107673  for updates from Endnote guys.  

Good to know about the status quo page. 

If I get something new on this topic I will post it here. Thanks so far!

I have been following this thread and figured I would add my two cents… I really need a solution here.

I am having issues getting the bibliography updated using Pages 09 (4.3 - 1048) and Endnote X7 (7.3 - 10362) (N.B., I have also tried all of this with the latest version of Pages 5.5.2 (2120) as well - same results.

Also, I have downloaded the Pages EndNote plug-in and this has not made a difference.

Here is what I have noticed, shown by a simple example.

1. Let’s say early in my writing, I inserted the following reference:

ORIGINAL FORM:
I. L. Moudrakovski, in Annual Reports on Nmr Spectroscopy, Vol 79, ed. G. A. Webb, Elsevier Academic Press Inc, San Diego, 2013, vol. 78. pp. 129-240.

1. Later, as I am editing, I decide I want to use the journal abbreviation, and that the volume number should be 79 instead of 78. In other words, it should look like this (I have boldfaced the changed parts):

CORRECTED FORM:
I. L. Moudrakovski, in Ann. Rep. NMR Spectrosc., ed. G. A. Webb, Elsevier Academic Press Inc, San Diego, 2013, vol. 79, pp. 129-240.

1. I go into Endnote, make the changes, and it looks fine in Endnote. But switching back to Pages, nothing happens. The reference still appears in its original form.

I have tried:

• Closing, saving, reopening both programs; shutting down, etc. etc.
  • Switching between references formats.
  • Installed the plugin mentioned above.
  • Deleting the bibliography and hoping it will regenerate (it doesn’t - Pages then informs you that you have no citations in the document, and then after a delay, generates the same old bibliography full of original errors).
  1. It seems that the only way to get a change to happen is to find the inserted citation in the document, delete it, and reinsert it… this is a very painful process (I am working on a review with 300+ citations), and sort of defeats the purpose of using EndNote, in part.

2. I noticed something strange within Pages which leads me to believe the problem is within Pages, and not Endnote.

If I right click on the citation in the text, and then select Edit citation…, there are four versions of the reference listed (see the attached graphic) - all with the incorrect format. I originally did have two duplicates of this reference in my Endnote database, and deleted one of them.

CONCLUSION:
I really hope someone on the Pages team can talk to someone on the EndNote team and work this out… this would seem to be one of the most important and simple functions of an integrated piece of software, and it is not working!

P.S. posting here has been a frustrating process… the web site kept complaing about invalid html, so I had to plain text everything…sorry about that.

P.P.S. I keep getting this error…and I can’t post… why? There is no HTML at all!

Correct the highlighted errors and try again.
There was an error while attempting to post your message. Try again in a few minutes.

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

I have been following this thread and figured I would add my two cents… I really need a solution here.

I am having issues getting the bibliography updated using Pages 09 (4.3 - 1048) and Endnote X7 (7.3 - 10362) (N.B., I have also tried all of this with the latest version of Pages 5.5.2 (2120) as well - same results.

Also, I have downloaded the Pages EndNote plug-in and this has not made a difference.

Here is what I have noticed, shown by a simple example.

1. Let’s say early in my writing, I inserted the following reference:

ORIGINAL FORM:
I. L. Moudrakovski, in Annual Reports on Nmr Spectroscopy, Vol 79, ed. G. A. Webb, Elsevier Academic Press Inc, San Diego, 2013, vol. 78. pp. 129-240.

1. Later, as I am editing, I decide I want to use the journal abbreviation, and that the volume number should be 79 instead of 78. In other words, it should look like this (I have boldfaced the changed parts):

CORRECTED FORM:
I. L. Moudrakovski, in Ann. Rep. NMR Spectrosc., ed. G. A. Webb, Elsevier Academic Press Inc, San Diego, 2013, vol. 79, pp. 129-240.

1. I go into Endnote, make the changes, and it looks fine in Endnote. But switching back to Pages, nothing happens. The reference still appears in its original form.

I have tried:

• Closing, saving, reopening both programs; shutting down, etc. etc.
  • Switching between references formats.
  • Installed the plugin mentioned above.
  • Deleting the bibliography and hoping it will regenerate (it doesn’t - Pages then informs you that you have no citations in the document, and then after a delay, generates the same old bibliography full of original errors).
  1. It seems that the only way to get a change to happen is to find the inserted citation in the document, delete it, and reinsert it… this is a very painful process (I am working on a review with 300+ citations), and sort of defeats the purpose of using EndNote, in part.

2. I noticed something strange within Pages which leads me to believe the problem is within Pages, and not Endnote.

If I right click on the citation in the text, and then select Edit citation…, there are four versions of the reference listed (see the attached graphic) - all with the incorrect format. I originally did have two duplicates of this reference in my Endnote database, and deleted one of them.

CONCLUSION:
I really hope someone on the Pages team can talk to someone on the EndNote team and work this out… this would seem to be one of the most important and simple functions of an integrated piece of software, and it is not working!

P.S. posting here has been a frustrating process… the web site kept complaing about invalid html, so I had to plain text everything…sorry about that.

P.P.S. I keep getting this error…and I can’t post… why? There is no HTML at all!

Correct the highlighted errors and try again.
There was an error while attempting to post your message. Try again in a few minutes.

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

Hey,

since there has been no real progress in this question I would like to share my – really basic – workaround.

This is your situation/starting-point:

1. You already created your database in Endnote

2. You inserted lots of citations in your text on the basis of this database

3. You have to change one or more entries in your database.

4. Therefore you maybe have to update your bibliography in your text.

5. My old way: correcting the entry in the database, then deleting all the citation in the text and eventually reinsert all related citations.

6. My new way, if the change in database does not involve Authors name or publishing year: you can change the entries in the bibliography by using Pages search and replace-function! Manuallly you won’t be able to change anything in the bibliography, but pages itself can rewrite the formatted field created by endnote. You have to be careful to not mess up your bibliography by deleting things you can’t bring back. For me being careful it worked very well. 

I hope this wil be of use for some of you. It helped me a lot with my master thesis. If there are any questions, please leave a reply, I am checking the forum regularly. 

All the best for your work and may Apple be solving this problem eventually,

Malte

Update to my post from October 24 2014: 

I am using Pages 5 in the most recent version on OS X

@alialbrecht wrote:

Hey,

since there has been no real progress in this question I would like to share my – really basic – workaround.

1. You inserted lots of citations in your text on the basis of this database
  1. You have to change one or more entries in your database.
  1. Therefore you maybe have to update your bibliography in your text.
  1. My old way: correcting the entry in the database, then deleting all the citation in the text and eventually reinsert all related citations.
  1. My new way, if the change in database does not involve Authors name or publishing year: you can change the entries in the bibliography by using Pages search and replace-function! Manuallly you won’t be able to change anything in the bibliography, but pages itself can rewrite the formatted field created by endnote. You have to be careful to not mess up your bibliography by deleting things you can’t bring back. For me being careful it worked very well. 

I hope this wil be of use for some of you. It helped me a lot with my master thesis. If there are any questions, please leave a reply, I am checking the forum regularly. 

Malte

@alialbrecht wrote:

Hey,

1. You inserted lots of citations in your text on the basis of this database
  1. You have to change one or more entries in your database.
  1. Therefore you maybe have to update your bibliography in your text.
  1. My old way: correcting the entry in the database, then deleting all the citation in the text and eventually reinsert all related citations.
  1. My new way, if the change in database does not involve Authors name or publishing year: you can change the entries in the bibliography by using Pages search and replace-function! Manuallly you won’t be able to change anything in the bibliography, but pages itself can rewrite the formatted field created by endnote. You have to be careful to not mess up your bibliography by deleting things you can’t bring back. For me being careful it worked very well. 

Malte

El Capitan.