How to use Chicago Manual of Style with superscript cite numbers and sequential endnotes instead of footnotes?

Thanks much for your rely and for a helping a befuddled user.  I have used Endnote before years ago and didn’t seem to have this issue.  What I want to do is simple.  I am writing a book, and I usually use CMS style endnotes, not footnotes.I want to use superscript consecutive numbering to indicate endnotes (on a separate page) at the end of the paper (but before the bibliography). Within the text of the book, I want to place endnote superscript numbers after the period in sentences, and I want them to be consecutive.  I had assumed that one does this with Endnote Cite While you Write.  Should I be doing this within Word and forget about Cite While You Write?  I think it’s quite easy to do this in Word.  I’m completely mystified why I am having so much trouble, even after corresponding with a tech support person, who didn’t seem to understand what I want to do.  

If it’s better simply to use footnote style, and then try to convert to endnote style later, that’s of course a possibility, but I don’t know why it would be necessary to do it later.  With the settings I have now, there is no superscript numbering (only block [1], [2}, etc., and the numbering is not consecutive (any similar citation is given the same number), and in the footnote/end note section, there is no page number that appears.  If I select CMS (author-date), however, then the numbering seems to appear, but I don’t want to see that much text cluttering up my writing (i.e., in the body of the text) at this stage in the game.   

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, as I seem to be missing something very basic.  Thanks in advance for any help.