Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor

How to use Vancouver style with superscript

Hello, helpful EndNote peoples:

I'm a librarian in a medical library.  I do basic EndNote training.  I am a pretty good beginning-level user and teacher but sometimes people come in with questions I cannot answer.

I need help.  A patron wants to use Vancouver style but she wants her in-text citations to appear as superscript numbers.  I am aware that it is possible to edit Output Styles, so I tried to find a way to change the in-text citations to superscript in the Style Manager.  I did not find a way to do this.

Does anyone out there know how my patron can do this in Vancouver style?  Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

~Monica

Contributor

Re: How to use Vancouver style with superscript

OK, nevermind- I found my answer!

In case anyone else is curious, this is what I did:

-Click Edit >> Output Styles >> Edit Vancouver

-In menu at left, under Citations, click Templates

-Highlight (Bibliography-Number)

-Click on A1 on top of editing window (this looks like an "A" with a superscript "1")

-Close Vancouver style.  When dialogue box asks if you want to save it, say yes.  Give style a new name like
"Vancouver Superscript."

Maybe this will help someone else.  Thanks again for helping me out in the past!

~Monica

New User

Hello Monica, You have answered to my question, the answer for which, I was seeking for months now. You steps are very helpful. 

One last favour, can you also tell me how do I remove the brackets from the superscripted numbers? They are annoying and Journals don't want them.... 

Mentor

same place -- delete them from the citation template.  

(long time Endnote user)
Mentor

And the additional step people often forget, is to go to the manuscript and change the output style to the newest edited version on the endnote tool ribbon/bar

(long time Endnote user)
New User

Dear Monica,

This was for me also a problem, so thank you for your explanation. I'd like to have the Vancouver Style in superscript.

I followed your steps but I can't find the A1 you're referring to. Maybe there's a difference between the Mac and Windows version? Or did something change in the updates of the software?

I hope you can help me, it's the most decent answer I found so far. 

Kind regards

Enthusiast

On a Mac you have to use Edit -> Font -> Superscript (or the shortcut for this command)

New User

Thanks for the help!

New User

Hello,

I'm having the same problem with the x7 version on Mac and have followd your instructions, but when copying the reference (with the edited format selected) to Word, the in-text citation is still showing up as a bracketed numerical citation that's not superscripted.

My steps are:

Open endnote library

Choose a numbered citation format

Edit > output styles > edit "citation format name"

Citations > templates, at which point I see exactly what the last user posted as a screenshot

I've highlighted both "Biography Number" texts and superscripted them in turn as suggested (through the edit > font menu), but after I save, made sure I've selected the citation format I just edited, and copy the citation over to the word document, the bracketed numerical citation is still there. Do you know what I might be doing wrong?

Mentor

Where are you changing to the new output style?  It has to be in the word processor and not in Endnote.  

(long time Endnote user)